The Ngā Whakaaetanga-ā-Ture ki Te Taiao ā Toi (Statutory Acknowledgements in the Bay of Plenty) is a compendium document to be read as an attachment to and in conjunction with the Bay of Plenty Regional Policy Statement and regional plans, and any variation or change notified by the Bay of Plenty Regional Council.
Nga Whakaaetanga-a-Ture ki Te Taiao a Toi incorporates statutory acknowledgements arising from Treaty of Waitangi settlement legislation negotiated between the Crown and iwi in the Bay of Plenty region. Iwi that currently have statutory acknowledgements are:
- Ngāti Awa
- Ngāti Tūwharetoa (Bay of Plenty)
- Te Arawa (Lakes)
- Affiliate Te Arawa iwi and hapū
- Ngāti Whare
- Ngāti Manawa
- Ngāti Mākino
- Ngāti Rangiwewehi
- Ngāti Rangiteaorere, and
- Ngāti Pūkenga
A Statutory Acknowledgement is a formal acknowledgement by the Crown that recognises the particular cultural, spiritual, historical and traditional association of iwi with a site of significance or resource identified as a statutory area. Statutory Areas only relate to Crown-owned land and include areas of land, geographic features, lakes, rivers, wetlands and coastal marine areas. With respect to bodies of water such as lakes, rivers and wetlands, the Statutory Acknowledgement excludes any part of the bed not owned or controlled by the Crown.
Under the Resource Management Act 1991, Deeds of Settlement and Settlement Legislation achieved with each iwi, regional, city and district councils are required to include statutory acknowledgments in relevant district and regional plans and policy statements, and to have regard to them in resource consent decision making.
This includes the:
- Operative Bay of Plenty Regional Policy Statement.
- Operative Bay of Plenty Regional Water and Land Plan.
- Operative Regional Plan for the Tarawera River Catchment.
- Operative and Proposed Bay of Plenty Regional Coastal Environment Plans.
- Operative Regional River Gravel Management Plan.
- Operative Rotorua Geothermal Regional Plan.
- Operative Bay of Plenty Regional Air Plan.
- Any proposed regional plan or policy statement and any variation/change notified by the Bay of Plenty Regional Council.
The document is available printed ($12), electronically on CD or download from our website below. Contact the Council if you want to purchase a printed document, or have a CD sent to you. Nga Whakaaetanga-a-Ture ki Te Taiao a Toi can also be inspected between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday at Council's public offices at:
- Quay Street, Whakatāne
- 1125 Arawa Street, Rotorua
- 6 Rata Street, Mt Maunganui
- 87 First Avenue, Tauranga
- and at any public library or district and city council offices in the Bay of Plenty region.
View Nga Whakaaetanga-a-Ture ki Te Taiao a Toi (Statutory Acknowledgements in the Bay of Plenty):
- Update Record, Contents, Chapters 1 and 2
- Chapter 3 Ngāti Awa Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 4 Ngāti Tūwharetoa (Bay of Plenty) Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 5 Te Arawa (Lakes) Statutory Acknowledgements
- Lake Rotorua Maps (1-26)
- Bed of Lake Rotorua Maps (1-18)
- Lake Rotoiti Maps
- Bed of Lake Rotoiti Maps
- Lake Rotoehu Maps
- Lake Rotomā Maps
- Lake Ōkataina Maps
- Lake Tikitapu Maps
- Lake Ōkāreka Maps
- Lake Tarawera Maps
- Lake Rotomahana Maps
- Chapter 6 Affiliate Te Arawa Iwi and Hapū Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 7 Ngāti Whare Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 8 Ngāti Manawa Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 9 Ngāti Makino Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 10 Waitaha Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 11 Tapuika Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 12 Ngāti Rangiwewehi Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 13 Ngāti Rangiteaorere Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 14 Hineuru Statutory Acknowledgements
- Chapter 15 Ngāti Pūkenga Statutory Acknowledgements
- Map 1 - Statutory Acknowledgements within the Western Bay of Plenty District (Waitaha and Ngāti Pūkenga)
- Map 2 - Statutory Acknowledgements within the Western Bay of Plenty District (Tapuika)
- Map 3 - Statutory Acknowledgements within the Western Bay of Plenty District (Ngāti Rangiwewehi and Ngāti Rangiteaorere)
- Map 4 - Statutory Acknowledgements within the Rotorua District (Te Arawa Lakes, Ngāti Makino, Ngāti Tūwharetoa Bay of Plenty, Tapuika District)
- Map 5 - Statutory Acknowledgements witin the Whakatāne District (Ngāti Awa, Ngāti Manawa, Ngāti Tūwharetoa Bay of Plenty, Ngāti Whare, Hineuru)
- Phone: 0800 884 880
- Write to: Regional Policy Statement, Bay of Plenty Regional Council, PO Box 364, Whakatāne 3158.