The Bay of Plenty Regional Council works with several agencies to manage our coastal activities in the region.
What we do:
- We have a Regional Coastal Environment Plan for the management of the use, development and protection of the Coastal Marine Area and the adjacent coastal environment.
- We issue coastal resource consents for activities in the Coastal Marine Area (for example, for wharves, sea walls, dredging and discharges).
- We control earthworks, burning and vegetation disturbance in the coastal environment.
- We monitor coastal permits and the state of the coastal resources (excluding fisheries).
- We manage navigation and safety in harbours and out to the 12 nautical mile limit.
- We control oil pollution within coastal waters out to the 12 nautical mile limit.
- We assist with the recognition of customary interests made under the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011.