Walk the loop track and experience a peaceful native bush setting with beautiful pohutukawa covered cliffs. Emerge at Onekawa pa site and walk through the grassland, returning back to the carpark via Bryans Beach.
If travelling by car, there are two carparks; use either Ōhiwa Harbour Road carpark or Bryan Road carpark.
- Travel west on State Highway 2 towards Whakatāne. Turn right into Ōhiwa Beach Road toward the Ōhiwa Beach motor camp, follow the signs and the carpark is on the right before you reach the campground. Alternatively follow Ōhiwa Beach Road around the estuary, the carpark is off Bryan Road on the right.
- Distance from Ōpōtiki: 15 kilometres (approx 10 minutes)
- Head east toward Ōpōtiki via Ōhope. Follow State Highway 2 and turn left into Ōhiwa Beach Road. You can either follow Ōhiwa Beach Road to the Bryan Road entrance or turn right into Ōhiwa Harbour Road and park at the Ōhiwa Harbour Road entrance.
- Distance from Whakatāne: 40 kilometres (approx 35 minutes)
- Head east on State Highway 30 toward Whakatāne. Turn right onto State Highway 2 and remain on State Highway 2 until making a left turn into Ōhiwa Beach Road.
- Distance from Rotorua: 115 kilometres (1.5 hours)
Take extra care when driving along Bryan Road and Ōhiwa Harbour Road, look out for cyclists and children.