Skip to main content Skip to footer
rates illustration rates illustration

Buyers, sellers and solicitors

Outstanding rates balances

Your lawyer needs to ensure all rates balances are paid before the property changes ownership. Lawyers need to contact both Regional Council and city/district councils to obtain the balance of rates for the current year.

Change of ownership

Both the seller’s and the buyer’s lawyers will need to complete change in ownership documentation and send this to Land Information New Zealand. Once this is processed, both Regional Council and your city/district council will receive a copy. 

Sales information is supplied to Regional Council once the transaction has been completed. Our information is updated through our regular file updates from your local council.