Skip to main content

Activities requiring Resource Consent

The purpose of a resource consent is to control and minimise the impacts of activities on people and the environment where activities have been identified in the Regional plans as requiring management. There are four types of resource consents that the Bay of Plenty Regional Council can issue:

  1. Land use consents
  2. Discharge Consents
  3. Water consents
  4. Coastal consents

Subdivision and building consents are issued by District Councils. 

Land use consents

Different land uses can have environmental effects such as decreased water quality or sedimentation. You may need a land use consent if you want to:Excavation

  • Build or alter a bridge
  • Construct or alter a well or bore
  • Construct or alter a culvert
  • Disturb or alter a wetland area
  • Disturb the bed of a river or lake (such as excavate, drill, erect a structure)
  • Carry out earthworks, roading or tracking
  • Erect an erosion control structure in a watercourse
  • Construct or alter a ford across a waterway
  • Carry out mining or quarrying activities
  • Reclaim or dredge the bed of a watercourse
  • Remove sand or gravel from the bed of a watercourse
  • Carry out soil cultivation
  • Construct or alter a stopbank
  • Plant or clear vegetation
  • Carry out a nutrient discharging activity e.g. increase stocking rates within the Rotorua Lakes Catchment area
  • Disturb contaminated or potentially contaminated land
  • Disturb or alter a geothermal surface feature in Rotorua

Discharge consents

Discharge consents cover activities which discharge to water, land or air:

You may need discharge consent if your activity may discharge:

  • Water into water (this includes clean or contaminated water)
  • Contaminated water onto, or into land
  • Effluent or waste products into water, or onto or into land
  • Landfill or cleanfill leachate
  • Water and/or contaminants into water, or onto or into land, in association with a geothermal take
  • Dust, steam, smoke or other contaminants into the air and/or those that create offensive odour  

Water consents

You may need a water consent if you want to divert a water course, construct a dam or stopbank or take or use;   

  • water from a river, stream, dam, lake, spring or the coast (surfacewater)
  • water from an underground source (groundwater)
  • geothermal water, heat or energy

Please contact us on the details below with any queries and we can discuss your activity and provide advice on consent requirements, and the consent process. 

Coastal consents

Coastal consents relate to resources in the coastal marine area (CMA). This is a defined area of foreshore, seabed, coastal water, and air space above the sea from the line of mean high water springs out to the territorial limit (12 nautical miles). The mean high water springs line is the average line of the spring high tides. The CMA can extend further inland if the mean highwater springs line crosses a river. For a full definition of the CMA, see our Regional Coastal Environment Plan

You may need a coastal consent if you want to carry out an activity within the CMA.