Our Harbourmaster and Maritime Team work to keep Bay of Plenty waterways safe for everyone to enjoy.
Role of the Harbourmaster
- Carry out regular patrols to ensure that harbour and lakes users know the rules and are abiding by the Bay of Plenty Navigation and Safety Bylaw.
- Maintain more than 800 navigation aids, lights and beacons around the region.
- Remove hazards (when accessible), such as large logs and fallen trees from local waterways.
- Dispose of abandoned vessels.
- Maintain safe boating signage at your local boat ramps.
- Respond to marine oil spill events.
- Issue mooring licences for 482 swing moorings.
- Manage aquatic events and lakes closures.
- Promote safe boating.
- Keep local and visiting boaties informed of changes to local rules and regulations.
Harbour Patrol Wardens and Voluntary Safe Boating Advisors assist the Maritime Team with the promotion of safe boating Navigation Safety Bylaw compliance.
They do this through education and enforcement. Our Wardens are warranted to enforce the Bylaw and they are also some of the best people to answer your questions about local conditions, where the local ski lanes are and what the local boat ramps are like.