|The way you pay your Regional Council rates is changing from 1 July 2022.|
Whakatāne District Council will no longer administer rates on behalf of Bay of Plenty Regional Council - however you will still need to pay your district council rates directly to them.
What do your rates pay for?
General Rate (land value) and Uniform Annual General Charge
- Integrated catchment management
- Flood protection and control
- Resource regulation and monitoring
- Public Transport
- Regional Development
- Regional planning and engagement
- Democracy, Engagement and Planning
- Technical services
Rangitāiki-Tarawera river scheme rates are calculated by land area and the extent of service provided to part-fund the Rangitaiki-Tarawera river scheme work activity.
Whakatāne-Tauranga targeted rates are calculated using a combination of land area, site charges and the extent of service provided to part-fund the Whakatāne-Tauranga river scheme work activity.
Rangitāiki Drainage targeted rates are calculated by land area and the extent of service provided to fully fund the Rangitāiki Drainage scheme work activity.
Minor Rivers and Drainage Rates are calculated using land area and the extent of service provided to properties in the Rangitāiki Plains Catchment. For more information see below.
Whakatāne Passenger Transport targeted rates are calculated as a fixed charge per property for Whakatāne to fund the Passenger Transport work activity.
Civil Defence Emergency Management targeted rates are calculated as a fixed charge per property for services provided by Civil Defence Emergency Management group.
Regional Safety and Rescue Services targeted rates are calculated on where the rateable unit is situated and fund organisations that provide safety and rescue services within the Bay of Plenty.
For more information visit the Rates Funding Impact Statement in our Long Term Plan 2021-2031, starting on page 174.
Minor Communally Pumped Drainage Schemes
Bay of Plenty Regional Council administers and collects the rates for 34 minor communally pumped drainage schemes on the Rangitāiki Plains. This rate is calculated by area for the following catchments.
- Omeheu West
- Awaiti West
- Omeheu Adjunct
- Angle Road
- Greigs Road
- Riverslea Road
- Long-view Richlands
- Omeheu East
- Robins Road
- Poplar Lane
- Awaiti East
The Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates are payable on the Bay of Plenty Regional Council website, via online banking or at the office of the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, Quay Street, P O Box 364, Whakatāne.
Your Rates Invoice
Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates are invoiced once a year. Your rates invoice sets out how much is owed, including any balances carried forward from last year.
Can I speak to someone about my individual rates invoice?
Yes, for Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates please call Bay of Plenty Regional Council's Freephone 0800 884 880 and ask to speak to our rates team.
Rating Information Database
- The rating information database for Bay of Plenty Regional Council, the Whakatāne-Tauranga Rivers Scheme, the Rangitāiki-Tarawera Rivers Scheme, and the Rangitaiki Drainage Scheme is available for inspection at the offices of Whakatāne District Council (Commerce Street, Whakatāne)
- Property owners may request in writing to Whakatāne District Council, as Bay of Plenty Regional Council's rating agent, to withhold their name or postal address (or both) from the database.
- The rating information database for the 34 communal pumped drainage schemes on the Rangitāiki Plains is available for inspection at the offices of Bay of Plenty Regional Council (Quay Street, Whakatāne). Property owners may request in writing to Bay of Plenty Regional to withhold their name or postal address (or both) from the database.