Ōpōtiki District Council administers rates (except for minor rivers and drainage scheme rates) on behalf of Bay of Plenty Regional Council.
For questions regarding the payment of your rates, payment options, due dates, penalties or remission policy contact Ōpōtiki District Council.
For all other queries, contact us.
What your rates pay for
General Rate (land value) and Uniform Annual General Charge
- Integrated catchment management
- Flood protection and control
- Resource regulation and monitoring
- Public Transport
- Regional development
- Regional planning and engagement
- Emergency management
- Technical services
Waioeka-Otara Rivers Scheme targeted rates are calculated using a combination of land area, site charges and the extent of service provided to part-fund the Waioeka-Otara river scheme work activity.
Minor Rivers and Drainage Rates are calculated using land area and extent of service provided for properties in the Waiotahi River District, Huntress Creek Drainage District and Waiotahi Drainage District. For more information see below.
Civil Defence Emergency Management targeted rates are calculated as a fixed charge per property for services provided by Civil Defence Emergency Management group.
For more information about this visit our Annual Plan 2020/21, page 38.
Ōpōtiki Minor River and Drainage Schemes
Bay of Plenty Regional Council administers and collects the rates for the Ōpōtiki based minor rivers and drainage schemes. This rate is calculated by land area and the extent of service provided for the following catchments:
- Waiotahi River District
- Huntress Creek Drainage District
- Waiotahi Drainage District
The Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates are payable on the Bay of Plenty Regional Council website, via online banking or at the office of the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, Quay Street, P O Box 364, Whakatāne.
Your Rates Invoice
Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates are invoiced once a year. For the 2020/21 rates are due on 20 January 2021. Your rates invoice sets out how much is owed including any balances carried forward from last year.
I. A charge of 10 percent is made on any instalment that has been assessed for the 2020/21financial year that remains unpaid after 20 January 2021.
II. For rates levied prior to 1 July 2020 a charge of 10 percent shall be made on rates unpaid 1 July 2020, that remain unpaid after 1 July 2020.
III. A further charge of 10 percent shall be made on any rates to which a penalty has been added under (ii) if the rates remain unpaid on 20 February 2021.
Can I speak to someone about my individual rates invoice?
Yes, for Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates please call Bay of Plenty Regional Council's Freephone 0800 884 880 and ask to speak to our rates team.
For other rates, please contact Ōpōtiki District Council.
Rating information database
- The rating information database for Bay of Plenty Regional Council, and the Waioeka-Otara Rivers Scheme, is available for inspection at the offices of Ōpōtiki District Council (108 St John Street, Ōpōtiki).
- Property owners may request in writing to Ōpōtiki District Council, as Bay of Plenty Regional Council's rating agent, to withhold his or her name or postal address (or both) from the database.
- The rating information database for the three minor river and drainage schemes in Ōpōtiki is available for inspection at the offices of Bay of Plenty Regional Council (Quay Street, Whakatāne). Property owners may request in writing to Bay of Plenty Regional to withhold his or her name or postal address (or both) from the database.