We all want clean air to breathe, yet across the world this is not a given. Here in the Bay of Plenty our air quality is pretty good most of the time, but we do have our own issues to deal with.
These vary from seasonal issues like dust in summer or smoky fires in winter to pollution and odour issues in industrial areas. The Regional Air Plan aims to protect and improve our air quality by setting rules for those who discharge into the air.
Every year our Pollution Hotline receives thousands of calls about pollution across the region. Air quality makes up about 60% of these calls. In response to these concerns our planners have been updating the Air Plan to ensure it best protects this region’s air quality.
These changes are captured under something called a plan change, or in this instance Plan Change 13.
We notified Plan Change 13 on 27 February 2018 and submissions closed on 18 April 2018. Further submissions closed on 31 July 2018.
Bay of Plenty Regional Council appointed the following hearing panel for Proposed Plan Change 13 (Air Quality).
- Councillor Andrew von Dadelszen (Chair)
- Councillor Matemoana McDonald
- Mr John Iseli (Air Quality Technical Expert)
Proposed Plan Change 13 (Air Quality) Hearings were held over 5 days in both Tauranga and Rotorua in October 2018.
- Proposed Plan Change 13 (Air Quality) - Staff Recommendations Report (section 42a)
- Consequential Changes to the Regional Natural Resources Plan resulting from draft Proposal Plan Change 13 version 6.0
- Proposed Plan Change 13 (original version)
- Staff Recommendations with Submitters and Further Submitters by Submitter
- Staff Recommendations with Submitters and Further Submitters by Section
- Proposed Plan Change 13 version 6.0 - Track changes
- Summary of Decisions Requested by Section
- Summary of Decisions Requested by Submitter
- Proposed Plan Change 13 (Air Quality) to the Regional Natural Resources Plan (incorporating Consequential Changes resulting from Proposed Plan Change 13 (Air Quality) to the Operative Bay of Plenty Regional Natural Resources Plan)
- Section 32 Evaluation Report
- Fact Sheet
- Public Notice
We are now awaiting approval of the Hearing Panel decisions by Council. Approval is expected by mid-February 2019 with public notification currently scheduled for 12 March 2019.
Read more about:
- Installing a woodburner in Rotorua and the new offsetting rules.
- Resource consent applications for installing a new wood burner.
If you have any questions about the Air Plan, please contact Karen Parcell on 0800 884 881 ex 9346.