Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Plans
A Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Plan (HIMP) is a document developed and approved by hapū and/or iwi. These plans describe resource management issues of importance to them as tangata whenua. The plans may also contain information relating to specific cultural values, historical accounts, descriptions of areas of interest (hapū/iwi boundaries/rohe) and consultation/engagement protocols for resource consents and/or plan changes.
Importance of Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Plans
HIMP planning documents recognised by an iwi authority provide a mechanism in which tāngata whenua interests can be considered in Council processes. There are specific legislative requirements which place a duty on Council staff to take these plans into account. In practice, local authorities must balance a number of competing interests, including hapū/iwi plans. The importance of HIMP planning documents is that they have been recognised by Bay of Plenty Regional Council.
Funding for Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Plans
Council provides a contribution (in part) to the development of HIMP plans. Annual Plan funding has been allocated so that these plans are continually developed reviewed or updated. The fund must cater for any eligible hapū and iwi within the bounds of the Bay of Plenty region. All funding applications are carefully considered.
Criteria for application
- Only those hapū and iwi with land interests in the Bay of Plenty Regional Council boundaries are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be in writing and signed by person/s duly authorised by the hapū/iwi.
- The proposed plan must be recognised by the relevant iwi authority and approved by a wide representation of the hapū/iwi.
- Funding will only be paid to an established Maori entitiy such as a marae committee, iwi authority, hapū trust or consultants acting on behalf of the applicant.
- A copy of the final plan will be lodged with Bay of Plenty Regional Council as a reference for staff. The plan name will be placed on this page.
- Please note that all recipients of hapū/iwi resource management funding agree to a copy of their hapū or iwi resource management plan (either new, revised or updated) being posted on our website.
See HIMP documentation below to assist applications for funding.
- Policies and Procedures for Funding to develop Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Planning documents of our Region
- Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Planning Application Form
- Pamphlet on Funding to Develop Hapū/Iwi Resource Planning Documents
- Official Lodgement Form for a Hapū/Iwi Planning Document
For further information please contact Māori Policy staff at Bay of Plenty Regional Council on the contact details at the bottom of the page.
List of Hapū/Iwi Management Plans lodged with us
IMP Plans lodged with the Council and recognised by the relevant iwi authority by Māori Constituency and location:
- Ngāti Pūkenga Resource Management Plan, 1993 - Western Bay of Plenty
- Nga Aukati Taonga o Tapuika me Waitaha, 1993 - Te Puke/Maketū
- Ngaiterangi Iwi Resource Management Plan, 1995 - Western Bay of Plenty/Tauranga
- Voices Nga Korero Whakahiahia o Ngaiterangi me Ngāti Pūkenga, 1999 - Western Bay of Plenty/Tauranga
- Ngapotiki Environmental Management Plan (Draft), 2001 - Western Bay of Plenty/Pāpāmoa
- Te Whatu: Ngaiterangi Natural Resources Environment Management Manual, 2002 - Tauranga
- Nga Taonga Tuku Iho - Pirirakau Hapu Environmental Management Plan, 2004 - Tauranga
- Whaia te mahere taiao o Hauraki - Hauraki Iwi Environmental Plan, 2004 - Paeroa/Thames
- Te Awanui: Tauranga Harbour Iwi Management Plan 2008 - Tauranga
- Ngāti Whakaue ki Maketū Hapū Iwi Resource Management Plan 2009 - Maketū
- Mōtītī Island Native Management Plan 2011 - Mōtītī Island
- Ngāti Kahu Hapū Environmental Management Plan 2011 - Tauranga, Wairoa
- Matakana Rangiwāea Hapū Management Plan 2012 - Matakana and Rangiwāea Islands - Part 1
- Matakana Rangiwāea Hapū Management Plan 2012 - Matakana and Rangiwāea Islands - Part 2
- Ngāi Te Ahi Hapū Management Plan 2013
- Ngāti Pūkenga Iwi ki Tauranga Trust Iwi Management Plan 2013
- Te Mana Taiao O Ngāi Tamarawaho Hapū Management Plan - 31 May 2014
- Tapuika Environmental Management Plan - July 2014
- Ngāi Tapu Ngāi Tukairangi Hapū Management Plan - 2014
- Ngāi Tamawhariua Hapū Management Plan - 2015
- Tapuika Map Book - GIS Data Analysis Introduction
- Tapuika Map Book - Rohe and Resource Analysis
- Tapuika Map Book - Tapuika Marae Aerial Maps
- Tapuika Map Book - Tapuika Cultural Redress Lands - Reserves
- Tapuika Map Books - Tapuika Commercial Redress Lands - Forest Blocks
- Waitaha Iwi Management Plan Sections 1 and 2
- Waitaha Iwi Management Plan Section 3
- Tauranga Moana Iwi Management Plan 2016-2026 - A joint Environmental Plan for Ngāti Ranginui, Ngāi Te Rangi and Ngāti Pūkenga
- Matakana and Rangiwāea Hapū Management Plan 2017
- Pirirakau Hapū Management Plan 2017
- Te Arawa Trust Board Iwi Resource Management Strategy Plan, 1993 - Rotorua/Maketū
- Te Runanga o Ngāti Pikiao Iwi Resource Management Strategy Plan, 1993 - Rotorua/Te Puke/Maketū/Otamarākau
- Nga Tikanga Whakahaere Taonga o Ngāti Pikiao Whanui Iwi Resource Management Plan, 1997 - Rotorua
- Ngāti Rangiwewehi Iwi Management Plan, 2008 - Rotorua/Awahou
- Ngāti Rangiwewehi Iwi Environmental Management Plan 2012 - Rotorua/Awahou - Part 1
- Ngāti Rangiwewehi Iwi Environmental Management Plan 2012 - Rotorua/Awahou - Appendix 1 Maps
- Ngāti Rangiwewehi Iwi Environmental Management Plan 2012 - Rotorua/Awahou - Appendix 2 Mapping Analysis
- Te Taiao o Te Whatuoranganuku. Ngāti Tamateatutahi-Ngāti Kawiti Hapū Environmental Management Plan 2015
- Te Rautaki Taiao a Raukawa - Raukawa Environmental Management Plan 2015 - Part 1
- Te Rautaki Taiao a Raukawa - Raukawa Environmental Management Plan 2015 - Part 2
- Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara Iwi Environmental Management Plan 2016
- Tawharau o nga Hapū o Whakatohea 1993 - Ōpōtiki
- Waahi Tapu Sites of Ngati Awa, 2000 - Whakatāne
- Ngaitai Iwi Management Plan, Revised Edition 1999 (formally lodged 2008) - Torere
- Rangitāiki River Cultural Baseline Report, 2002 - Whakatāne/Te Teko/Thornton
- Te Whanau a Te Ehutu Iwi Management Plan (Draft), 2005 - Te Kaha
- Ngāti Umutahi Whenua Resource Management Plan, 2004 - Matata
- Ngāti Manawa Iwi Management Plan 2007 (lodged 2009) - Murupara
- Ngāti Whare Iwi Resource Management Plan 2011 - Te Whaiti and Minginui
- Ngāti Rangitihi Iwi Environmental Plan Part 1 final 2011 - Part 1
- Ngati Rangitihi Iwi Environmental Management Plan Part 2 (Mapbook)
- Te Whanau a Te Haraawaka Hapū Resource Management Plan Part 1
- Te Whanau a Te Haraawaka Hapū Resource Management Plan Part 2
Other Hapū/Iwi Documents:
- Upokorehe Hapū - Te Ipu o Te Mauri Strategic Plan, 2003 - Ōpape/Ōhiwa
- Te Nuka Kokiri o Ngai Tamahaua - Strategic Plan, 2002 - Ōpape
- Tuwharetoa ki Kawerau Strategic Plan, 1991 - Kawerau
- Nga Tikanga Tiaki i te Taiao. Maori Environmental Management in the Bay of Plenty
- Regional Policy Statement, Generic plan for the Bay of Plenty 1993
- Te Arawa Lakes Trust - Tūāpapa o ngā o Te Arawa
- He Mahere Pūtahitanga - CNI Iwi Planning Document for Lodgement
If you have any queries about the hapū and iwi management plans listed, please contact our Māori Policy section.