07 September 2017

The Bay of Plenty Regional Council is currently seeking members for its newly established Rivers Scheme Advisory Groups that will play an important role in decision-making on local river schemes.

The Advisory Groups (previously known as Rivers Scheme Liaison Groups) represent Scheme ratepayers and their view on Scheme matters like capital and maintenance works projects. They also act as the local contact for river and drainage issues.  

The four Advisory Groups to be set up are for:

  • Kaituna Catchment Control Scheme
  • Rangitāiki Tarawera Rivers Scheme (including Rangitāiki Drainage Scheme)
  • Whakatāne Tauranga (formerly Waimana) Rivers Scheme, and
  • Waioeka Otara Rivers Scheme.

Council’s Asset Management Officer Kirsty Brown said Council is looking for applicants to assist in enabling effective communication and liaison between Scheme ratepayers and the Council. 

“I’d like to acknowledge the work of the members of the previous Liaison Groups. These members have done a great job of speaking for their communities over the years.

“This new Advisory Group process sets us up with a Terms of Reference and a good outline of the work required for the coming three years. I look forward to seeing some quality applications come through. 

“This is an important role and nominees need to demonstrate they meet some or all of the appointment criteria set out under the Terms of Reference so please look into those carefully before sending through an application,” Ms Brown said.  

Interested Scheme ratepayers can access the Expression of Interest, Terms of Reference and criteria information on the website. Submissions close 15 September 2017.



  • River Schemes are in place for rivers/streams to provide our communities with protection from flooding, river pathways changes and so on. Not all waterways in the Bay of Plenty are part of a River Scheme.
  • There are four Schemes - Kaituna, Rangitaiki/Tarawera, Whakatāne/Tauranga (formerly Waimana) and Waioeka/Otara. In these schemes, Regional Council works with the communities to develop plans, practices, and various protection methods. You can read more about River Schemes, including maps and details on the website.
  • Ratepayers in a particular River Scheme catchment pay a targeted rate that covers 80% of the cost of managing that Scheme (the remaining 20% is covered by the general rate).