This committee’s main function is to implement and monitor Council’s legislative obligations to Māori people and to ensure and facilitate Māori input into community outcomes and policy development and implementation.
- Monitors council compliance with its obligations to Māori.
- Helps enhance the Māori people’s ability to contribute to decision-making.
- Advises Council on effective ways to engage with Māori.
- Identifies relevant emerging issues for the region relating to the Treaty of Waitangi.
- Receives iwi/hapū management plans.
Terms of reference
- Komiti Māori Terms of Reference reviewed and adopted by Council on 15 November 2016.
- Chair - Councillor Arapeta Tahana
- Deputy Chair - Councillor Tīpene Marr
- Councillors - Bill Clark, David Love, Lyall Thurston, Matemoana McDonald.
- Ex-officio - Chairman Doug Leeder