He Toka Tumoana Scholarship
He Toka Tūmoana Scholarship for tertiary students has been created to commemorate the late Councillor Awanuiarangi Black, an avid supporter of environment and restoration projects, research and education. Two scholarships valued at $5000 each will be awarded in 2018.
The main purpose of the Fund is to assist students by providing financial support for education, activities, research and/or projects. The benefits of the fund are to:
- Focus on environmental education and kaitiakitanga/guardianship
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing environmental knowledge
- Raise environmental awareness and understanding
- Provide financial support to students
- Encourage Mātauranga Māori research and education
- Promote leadership and innovation
Who is eligible to apply?
The scholarship is available to tertiary students who:
- live or have whakapapa within the Bay of Plenty
- are enrolled in a course related to environmental or water management, planning and/or mātauranga Māori.
How to apply?
Complete all sections of the Application Form and send to one of the following:
Post: He Toka Tumoana – Environmental Scholarship Fund
Bay of Plenty Regional Council
P.O Box 364, Whakatane
Drop off to one of the BOPRC offices:
Tauranga - 87 First Avenue
Mount Maunganui - 6 Rata Street
Whakatane - 5 Quay Street
Rotorua - 1125 Arawa Street
When do applications close?
Applications close 1 March 2018
For any enquiries about the scholarships please contact:
Strategic Engagement Coordinator
Phone: 0800 884 881 extn 9254
Mobile: 027 707 8764
Successful applications will be subject to the following conditions:
- On completion of study, a copy of course programme details and completion certificate will be required
- Provision of receipts and/or information about tertiary education (including photos/media releases/newsletters/brochures/PowerPoint presentations etc) where practicable/requested
- If requested, acceptance of an invitation to present to Komiti Māori/Bay of Plenty Regional Council about their studies
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council retains the right to reference the sponsored person in its own promotional work
- Tertiary education programmes, activities and/or projects that qualify for funding will be consistent with Bay of Plenty Regional Council’s mission statement, statutory role, and the Regional Community Outcomes.