Skip to main content


Applying for a consent for a new lake structure

If you are considering constructing a new structure around the Rotorua Te Arawa Lakes you will need to apply for resource consent from the Bay of Plenty Regional Council. An electronic version of the resource consent application form can be found here and a print version can be found here. 

We recommend discussing your proposal with the relevant land owner(s) prior to lodging your resource consent. Landowners and lake/lakebed managers are Te Arawa Lakes Trust (TALT), Rotorua Lakes Council (RLC) and the Department of Conservation (DOC). Land Information New Zealand administer the water column and airspace strum above the TALT lakebed. Separate approval is required from the relevant agency(s) for the occupation of your structure on land that the various entities own or manage. This approval will be provided by way of the consent holder entering into a contract with the relevant entity.

For information on the fees and charges associated with a new resource consent application click here.

You can contact the Consents Duty Officer on 0800 884 880 for further information on the consenting process.

Shared Structures

Lakes structures are a public benefit and shared use of structures is promoted. 

Before you start the approval process think about sharing an existing structure, or sharing your proposed new structure with others. The lake owners and consent authorities will consider this when looking at your application. Get an accurate site plan of the proposed lake structure in relation to legal boundaries. This is essential to determine land ownership boundaries, which may be different to where you think they are. You’ll most likely need a surveyor to do this accurately.