Skip to main content


Home > Our region and environment > Resource Consents > Activities requiring Resource Consent

Activities requiring Resource Consent

The purpose of a resource consent is to control and minimise the impacts of activities on people and the environment where activities have been identified in the Regional Plans as requiring management. The Regional Council can issue the following types of consents:

Subdivision and building consents are issued by city and district councils. 

Land use consents

Different land uses can have environmental effects such as decreased water quality or sedimentation. You may need a land use consent if you want to:Excavation

  • Build or alter a bridge
  • Construct or alter a well or bore
  • Construct or alter a culvert
  • Disturb or alter a wetland area
  • Disturb the bed of a river or lake (such as excavate, drill, erect a structure)
  • Carry out earthworks, roading or tracking
  • Erect an erosion control structure in a watercourse
  • Construct or alter a ford across a waterway
  • Carry out mining or quarrying activities
  • Reclaim or dredge the bed of a watercourse
  • Remove sand or gravel from the bed of a watercourse
  • Carry out soil cultivation
  • Construct or alter a stopbank
  • Plant or clear vegetation
  • Carry out a nutrient discharging activity e.g. increase stocking rates within the Rotorua Lakes Catchment area
  • Disturb contaminated or potentially contaminated land
  • Disturb or alter a geothermal surface feature in Rotorua

Discharge consents

Discharge consents cover activities which discharge to water, land or air:

You may need a discharge consent if your activity may discharge:

  • Water into water (this includes clean or contaminated water)
  • Contaminated water onto, or into land
  • Effluent or waste products into water, or onto or into land
  • Landfill or cleanfill leachate
  • Water and/or contaminants into water, or onto or into land, in association with a geothermal take
  • Dust, steam, smoke or other contaminants into the air and/or those that create offensive odour  

Water consents

You may need a water consent if you want to divert a water course, construct a dam or stopbank or take or use;   

  • water from a river, stream, dam, lake, spring or the coast (surfacewater)
  • water from an underground source (groundwater)
  • geothermal water, heat or energy

Please contact us on the details below with any queries and we can discuss your activity and provide advice on consent requirements, and the consent process. 

Coastal consents

A coastal consent authorises activities in the coastal marine area.

The coastal marine area is the zone between the line of the highest spring tide water mark and the twelve nautical mile limit. At the mouth of a river, the highest spring tide water mark is determined by a formula and you will need to seek advice from Bay of Plenty Regional Council if the proposed activity is located in a river mouth or an estuary.

For a full definition of the Coastal Marine Area (CMA), see our Regional Coastal Environment Plan

A coastal consent may be needed for the following activities:

  • reclamation
  • structures (such as seawalls, erosion protection, jetties and boat-ramps)
  • disturbance of the foreshore or seabed
  • removal of sand and gravel
  • deposition of substances
  • introduction or removal of plants
  • discharges
  • removal of seawater
  • aquaculture

For information on erosion protection in Tauranga Harbour, please read Erosion protection works - Guidelines for Tauranga Harbour

Lake structures

Any structure where some part sits in, under or over the lake is considered a lake structure. Examples include boatsheds, jetties, boat ramps and retaining walls.