Skip to main content


New lake structures

The Rotorua Lakes are a national treasure and a jewel of the Bay of Plenty. They are not something people want to see covered in lake structures.

To minimise the impact of lake structures to their  environment, the construction and maintenance of  lake structures requires a resource consent from the  Bay of Plenty Regional Council. This also helps ensure  that structures are appropriately maintained and safe, are not eyesores and do not interfere with important  cultural aspects of the Rotorua Lakes.

Before you consider applying for a resource consent for a new structure, make sure you check out what existing structures are around. The lake owners and consent authorities will consider this when looking at your application.

If you still want to go ahead with a new lake structure, start by giving the Regional Council’s Duty Consents Officer a call about getting a resource consent. The first hour is free, and they can help you make an informed decision, and this can save you time and money in the long run.

Getting resource consent

When it comes time to apply for resource consent, we recommend the first thing you do is discuss your proposal and obtain written approval from the relevant lake owner(s)/administer(s) and affected parties. This will reduce the processing time and costs associated.

Who are the lake/lakebed owners I need approval from?

There are a number of parties you may need approval from if your structure occupies a lake/lakebed they own, manage or administer. They include:

• Te Arawa Lakes Trust, owners of the lakebeds for the majority of Rotorua’s lakes.

• The Crown owns the water and air space above the lakebeds (referred to as the stratum). The stratum is administered by Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) on behalf of the Crown.

• Department of Conservation (DOC), administers reserves and marginal strips at various locations around the lake/lakebeds.

• Rotorua Lakes Council, owners of reserves at various locations around the lakes.

Approval may be via letter or lease/right to occupy form or contract.

Who are the affected parties?

Affected parties are people or organisations who might be more interested in, or more affected by, your activity than the general public. They are usually your immediate neighbours, but can also include people who are farther away. Approval from the affected party may be by letter or by filling in an Affected Person’s Form. This form, as well as a list of suggested affected parties, can be found on the right hand panel.

What will a resource consent for a new lake structure cost?

It is not easy to estimate the time and costs associated with obtaining a resource consent because every resource consent application is different. Note: a deposit of $774 is required with all resource consent applications.

You can however save yourself time and money by ensuring that when you lodge your application you have discussed your proposal and obtained written approval from the relevant lake owner(s)/administer(s) where appropriate.

For information on the Fees and Charges click here.