Skip to main content


Home > Our region and environment > Coast > Managing Coastal Areas

Managing Coastal Areas

Several agencies are responsible for managing coastal activities in the Bay of Plenty.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council

Bay of Plenty Regional Council:

  • Has a Regional Coastal Environment Plan for the management of the use, development and protection of the Coastal Marine Area and the adjacent coastal environment. 
  • Issues coastal resource consents for activities in the Coastal Marine Area (for example, for wharves, sea walls, dredging and discharges).
  • Controls earthworks, burning and vegetation disturbance in the coastal environment. 
  • Monitors coastal permits and the state of the coastal resources (excluding fisheries).
  • Manages navigation and safety in harbours and out to the 12 nautical mile limit.
  • Controls oil pollution within coastal waters out to the 12 nautical mile limit.
  • Assists with the recognition of customary interests made under the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011.

Contact details below.

Department of Conservation

The Department of Conservation is responsible for:

  • Protection of marine mammals, for example, whales, dolphins, seals 
  • Supervising whale and dolphin rescues, including care and disposal of sick or injured marine mammals.
  • Administering Crown-owned foreshore and seabed
  • Protection of wildlife, such as insects, reptiles, birds
  • Advocacy (providing a conservation perspective on regional policy and plans, and district plans) to the general public
  • Managing and caring for marine reserves

For more information visit the DOC website or contact:
Department of Conservation
07 349 7400

Minister of Conservation

The Minister of Conservation is responsible for:

  • Approving the Regional Coastal Environment Plan and any changes to the Plan.
  • Monitoring the effect and implementation to the NZ Coastal Policy Statement.
  • Making directions on allocation of space for aquaculture in the coastal marine area.

For more information contact:
Department of Conservation
07 349 7400

Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)

MPI  is responsible for:

  • Conserving and managing all marine and certain freshwater fisheries on a sustainable basis through:
    • Research programmes
    • Public education and consultation
    • Policing the Quota Management System as well as other gear and catch controls
  • Establishing Taiapure (a locally controlled coastal management area of special significance to iwi) and Mataitai Reserves (traditional fishing grounds).
  • Implementing the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004.
  • Assessing the effects of aquaculture proposals on fishing.
  • Biosecurity controls for vessels entering New Zealand - including the discharge of ballast water and biofouling.
  • Biosecurity controls on vessels and structures being moved between regions of New Zealand.

The Minister for Primary Industries can recommend regulations that change the way regional plans manage aquaculture.

For more on the MPI visit its website or contact:
General enquiries
0800 00 83 33

To report illegal fishing activities
0800 47 62 24

Exotic Pest and Disease Hotline:
0800 80 99 66

Tauranga District Office
(07) 571 2820

Aquaculture Growth and Innovation
(03) 545 7793

Maritime New Zealand

Maritime New Zealand implements the Maritime Transport Act especially in navigation, safety and oil pollution control. In the Bay of Plenty, Maritime New Zealand is responsible for:

  • The general control of vessels at sea, including survey standards.
  • Dealing with oil spills outside of 12 nautical mile limit or in Tier III operations.
  • The Ministry of Transport makes policy.

For more information contact:
Maritime New Zealand
0508 22 55 22
04 473 0111

District Councils

The District Councils are responsible for:

  • Issuing consents for activities ABOVE the mean high water springs (land based activities outside the Coastal Marine Area).
  • Dog control and litter control to the mean low water mark.
  • Coastal reserves management.
  • Noise control in the Coastal Marine Area (in conjunction with Bay of Plenty Regional Council).
  • Use of vehicles and horses on beaches (down to the low water mark).

For more information contact:
Tauranga City Council 07 577 7000
Western Bay of Plenty District Council 07 571 8008
Whakatane District Council 07 306 0500
Opotiki District Council 07 315 3030

Office of Treaty Settlements

The Office of Treaty Settlements is responsible for processing applications for recognition of customary rights made under the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011.

For more information contact:

Manager of the Marine and Coastal Area Team
(04) 494 9769

Land Information New Zealand (LINZ)

The Minister for Land Information is responsible for:

  • Deciding who can lease, own or occupy legally reclaimed land.

Land Information New Zealand is responsible for:

  • Maintaining a register of nay recognised customary interests in the coastal marine area
  • Processing applications for "deemed accommodated activities" in a customary marine title area.

For more information visit the LINZ website or contact:
(04) 460 0170