He Toka Tū Moana Scholarship is a Council approved initiative established in 2017 to recognise and support students who are undertaking study, research or training that aligns with the enhancement and protection of our Taiao.
The main purpose of the Fund is to assist students by providing financial support for education, activities, research and/or projects.
The benefits of the fund are to:
- Focus on environmental education and kaitiakitanga/guardianship.
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing environmental knowledge.
- Raise environmental awareness and understanding.
- Provide financial support to students.
- Encourage Mātauranga Māori research and education.
- Promote leadership and innovation.
Who is eligible to apply?
The scholarship is available to tertiary students who:
- The applicants must whakapapa or have lived in the Bay of Plenty
- Be enrolled in a course of study which contributes to the enhancement of the environment (fees free study is not eligible)
- Be involved in a relevant research project; that aligns with the protection or enhancement of Te Taiao
- Preference will be given to those students that are undertaking study in the Freshwater management, Mātauranga Māori and 3 waters space