He Toka Tū Moana Scholarship is a Council approved initiative established in 2017 to recognise and support students who are undertaking study, research or training that aligns with the enhancement and protection of our Taiao.
The main purpose of the fund is to provide a level of financial assistance to students studying, training or undertaking research on kaupapa related to enhancing the Taiao/Environment.
The benefits of the fund are to:
- Focus on environmental education and kaitiakitanga/guardianship.
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing environmental knowledge.
- Raise environmental awareness and understanding.
- Provide financial support to students.
- Encourage Mātauranga Māori research and education.
- Promote leadership and innovation.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Preference is given to applicants who whakapapa, reside or actively maintain a demonstrable connection to the Bay of Plenty.
- Applicants must be enrolled to study at a University, Whare Wānanga, Polytechnic, Institute of Technology, Teachers Training College or comparable tertiary institution.
- Applicants must be in their 2nd year or subsequent year of study.
- Applications and supporting documentation must be received before the specified closing date / time. Late applications will not be considered.
- Successful applicants are required to provide an update within 6-12 months of your academic progress.