Our Harbourmaster and Maritime Team work to keep Bay of Plenty waterways safe for everyone to enjoy.
Role of the Harbourmaster
- Carry out regular patrols to ensure that harbour and lakes users know the rules and are abiding by the Bay of Plenty Navigation and Safety Bylaw.
- Maintain more than 800 navigation aids, lights and beacons around the region.
- Remove hazards (when accessible), such as large logs and fallen trees from local waterways.
- Dispose of abandoned vessels.
- Maintain safe boating signage at your local boat ramps.
- Respond to marine oil spill events.
- Issue mooring licences for 482 swing moorings.
- Manage aquatic events and lakes closures.
- Promote safe boating.
- Keep local and visiting boaties informed of changes to local rules and regulations.