RENA Update from Maritime NZ (171)
Saturday, 19 November 2011 5:00 p.m.
- Container removal began again this morning after stopping yesterday afternoon due to high winds.
- As at 2pm today, a total of 36 containers had been removed from the Rena.
- Weather conditions remain good for container removal at present.
- Work on skimming the remaining oil in the number 5 starboard tank is continuing.
- Targeted clean-up operations around the region continued today, with surf washing at Papamoa Beach, and other operations underway at the Mount and Leisure Island.
- With many people out on Tauranga beaches today, we have received a number of reports of oil sightings to 0800 OIL SPILL. Beach users are reminded not to touch the oil. Please report it and our beach clean-up crews will respond to it. It is vital that oily sand is disposed of correctly, through the consented waste disposal process.
- Members of the public wanting to get involved with the clean-up, or with the Adopt a Beach programme should visit the volunteers hub at the Bay of Plenty Regional Council website /sustainable-communities/rena-oil-spill-volunteer-hub/.