Council is reviewing all geothermal provisions in the Regional Natural Resources Plan and Rotorua Regional Geothermal Plan. The Regional Policy Statement will not be reviewed, so this is our starting point.
Geothermal Plan review
The review of the regional plans will eventually be part of a formal Resource Management Act 1991 process, but there is a lot of work that is needed to get to that point. This includes:
- Reviewing our understanding of the resource (e.g. research, monitoring and modelling).
- Reviewing and monitoring the effectiveness of current planning provisions.
- Developing system management plans (a whole system approach) to inform policy.
- Identifying the community's values through community engagement.
- Weighing up different management options and their costs and benefits .
From this work we will develop informal draft plan provisions, before a formal plan change is publicly notified for submissions under the Act.