Rivers Scheme Advisory Groups play a crucial role in connecting the Regional Council with communities affected by rivers and drainage schemes.
They enable discussions and gather ratepayer input on various scheme initiatives. They also facilitate potential changes to current practices, ensuring alignment with sustainable river scheme management goals.
Regional Council is currently seeking applications from targeted ratepayers to join one of our four Rivers Scheme Advisory Groups:
- Kaituna Catchment Control Scheme Advisory Group
- Rangitāiki – Tarawera Rivers Scheme (including the Rangitāiki Drainage scheme) Advisory Group
- Whakatāne – Tauranga Rivers Scheme (including the Rangitāiki Drainage scheme) Advisory Group
- Waioeka – Otara Rivers Scheme Advisory Group
There are six positions per Advisory Group, with an urban / rural split based on the size of the ratepayer base in that scheme (for example Ōpōtiki, where there are more rural targeted ratepayers, will have more rural representatives).
Why become a member?
Members act as the link between the community, and Regional Council rivers and drainage staff and Regional Council Councillors, as well as councillors and staff from local territorial authorities.
Successful applications will be appointed to their Rivers Scheme Advisory Group for a (minimum) three-year term, with meetings held twice a year (March and September).
If you want to better understand how your rivers and drainage scheme targeted rates are being used to achieve outcomes for your community, this is the place for you.
- Applications open: 11 December
- Applications close: 30 January
- All applicants will be advised of the decision: By 19 February
- First Advisory Group meetings to be held in March 2024
All applications will receive a formal notification of their submission and the outcome.
If you require assistance completing this form or have any other questions, please contact either Kirsty Brown, Rivers and Drainage Asset Manager (email@example.com) or Hemi Barsdell, Asset Management Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 0800 884 880.
There are two ways to apply:
- By using a physical application form. This can be collected from any one of our three offices or downloaded. Once complete, this can be emailed to email@example.com, hardcopy addressed to Bay of Plenty Regional Council, River Scheme Advisory Groups PO Box 364, Whakatāne, 3158, or drop off at an office reception area.
- By using our online application form below.
Please ensure that you have read and understand the Rivers Scheme Advisory Group Terms of Reference prior to submitting this form.
Please note, you can only apply for the Advisory Group in which you pay targeted rates.