The He Toka Tūmoana - Toi Moana Environmental Scholarship is a Council approved initiative established in 2017 to recognise and support students who are undertaking study, research or training that aligns with the enhancement of our Taiao (environment).
In 2018 the He Toka Tūmoana Scholarship was awarded to four local students who each received a scholarship award of $2500. Applications for the He Toka Tūmoana – Toi Moana Environmental Scholarship 2019 are now open. .
Four scholarships valued at $2500 each have been awarded in 2018 to:
- Vanessa Taikato who is studying towards a PhD in Biological Sciences.
- Ashlei McMahon who is studying towards a Diploma in Environmental Management.
- Julie Shepherd who is studying towards Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Planning.
- Frances Teinakore-Curtis who is studying towards a PhD in Environmental Studies.
The benefits of the scholarship are to:
- Focus on environmental education and kaitiakitanga/guardianship.
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing environmental knowledge.
- Raise environmental awareness and understanding.
- Provide financial support to students.
- Encourage Mātauranga Māori research and education.
- Promote leadership and innovation.
The successful applicants will receive one of four scholarships valued at $2500 each to assist in education, activities, research and projects.
The scholarship is available to students who:
- Are NZ citizens.
- Reside or whakapapa (share a genealogical connection) within the Bay of Plenty region.
- Are enrolled (or have an intention to enrol) in a course of study which contributes to the enhancement of the environment.
- Are 16 years of age or older.
All applications (by mail or via online form below) must be received with the following supporting documentation no later than 22 March 2019:
- Brief proposal (300 words) - mandatory
- Curriculum vitae (CV) - maximum 2 pages - mandatory
- Proof of enrolment (or intention to enrol) in study, training or research programme - mandatory
- Character reference (1 page or less) - optional