We welcome your feedback on the Rotorua geothermal system.
Issues at a glance
- Taking geothermal water and heat from the geothermal system can cause adverse effects on its long term sustainability and on geothermal surface features.
- Land uses near geothermal surface features can cause adverse and irreversible effects on these features, and increase the risk of geothermal hazards to people.
- The discharge of geothermal water to land air and water can cause adverse effects on the receiving environment.
- There are limits to resource use and current allocation of the resource may not reflect the needs, values and aspirations of tangata whenua and the local community.
- Understanding of the geothermal resource, the effects of use and its sustainable limits is incomplete, does not use matauranga Māori; and creates uncertainty for the management of the resource.
- The drilling and use of geothermal wells can lead to harmful effects on people and the environment.