Skip to main content



Resident electoral roll

All parliamentary electors, including those on the Māori Electoral Roll, are automatically enrolled on the territorial authority resident roll, at the address where they live.

Any alterations to the Resident Roll (such as change of address details, including new postal addresses) should be made by:

  • completing the appropriate form at any post shop;
  • telephoning 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
  • accessing the Enrolment Services (Electoral Commission) website on

Ratepayer electoral roll

If a person is on the parliamentary roll in one area and pays rates on a property in another area, this person may be eligible to be enrolled on the non-resident ratepayer roll. A firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (providing the nominated person resides outside of the area). Ratepayer Roll Enrolment Forms will be available at respective territorial authority offices and libraries.  Any alterations to the ratepayer roll should be made at the respective territorial authority offices.

Everything you need to know about enrolling to vote

Download a PDF in English

Download a PDF in Te Reo Māori