We all want clean air to breathe, yet across the world this is not a given. Here in the Bay of Plenty our air quality is pretty good most of the time, but we do have our own issues to deal with.
These vary from seasonal issues like dust in summer or smoky fires in winter to pollution and odour issues in industrial areas. The Regional Air Plan aims to protect and improve our air quality by setting rules for those who discharge into the air.
Every year our Pollution Hotline receives thousands of calls about pollution across the region. Air quality makes up about 60% of these calls. In response to these concerns our planners have been updating the Air Plan to ensure it best protects this region’s air quality.
These changes are captured under something called a plan change, or in this instance Plan Change 13.
We notified Plan Change 13 on 27 February 2018 and submissions closed on 18 April 2018. Further submissions closed on 31 July 2018.
Hearings were held in October 2018.
Council has made its decisions on submissions to the Proposed Plan Change 13, with the recommendations of the Hearing Committee being adopted at the Regional Direction and Delivery Committee Meeting on 19 February 2019.
From 12 March 2019, Proposed Plan Change 13 is amended in accordance with those decisions.
Report & Recommendations of the Hearing Committee – Proposed Plan Change 13 (Air Quality)
- Attachment A - Proposed Change 13 (Air Quality), Version 8.0 (Redline/strikeout version) and Consequential changes resulting from Proposed Change 13 (Air Quality)
- Attachment B - Proposed Change 13 (Air Quality), Version 8.0 (Clear copy) and Consequential changes resulting from Proposed Change 13 (Air Quality)
- Attachment C - Proposed Change 13 (Air Quality) , Section 32AA Evaluation Report
Read more about:
- Installing a woodburner in Rotorua and the new offsetting rules.
- Resource consent applications for installing a new wood burner.
If you have any questions about the Air Plan, please contact Karen Parcell on 0800 884 881 ex 9346.