Ballance Farm Environment Awards
The Ballance Farm Environment Awards invites you to enter the awards to share your knowledge of sustainability with others. Be part of New Zealand's leading sustainable farming network.
Sustainable Land Management - Main Objective
The overall objective of the Ballance Farm Environment Awards is to promote sustainable land management on New Zealand farms believing that role models and education are effective tools to improving farming practices. This objective is achieved by:
- The judging process, which we aim to keep mutually enjoyable and informative
- Our commitment to practical solutions, which benefit people as well as the land
- Our support for diversity - there's never one right answer, it's about what works
- Our deed requires us to use objective criteria to determine sustainable management where practical
Our down-to-earth approach to communicating sustainable management concepts which relies on real people and their stories
Nationwide Ballance Farm Environment awards
Eleven regions will participate in the Ballance Farm Environment Awards this year - Northland, Auckland, Bay of Plenty, Waikato, East Coast, Taranaki, Horizons, Hawke's Bay, Greater Wellington, Canterbury and Otago.
Why should you enter?
The benefits of entering the Ballance Farm Environment Awards include:
- linking sustainable farming practices to long-term profitability
- discussing practical farm information and business with judges from a range of fields
- gathering new ideas and different methods from other entrants
- confirming that your current farm management practices are sustainable
- prizes and recognition
- Benchmark your farming business with others
- Receive independent feedback from a team of agri-professionals
- Promote the many great sustainability initiatives already happening on farms
- Tell your own great farming story
Award categories include:
- Regional Supreme Award
- National Award – the Gordon Stephensen Trophy
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients Soil Management Award
- LIC Dairy Farm Award
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand Livestock Award
- Hill Laboratories Harvest Award
- Massey University Innovation Award
- CB Norwood Agri-Business Management Award
- WaterForce Integrated Management Award
- Farm Stewardship Award
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council Environmental Awards
- Zespri Kiwifruit Orchard Award (unique to Bay of Plenty region only)
For more information on the BoP Ballance Farm Environment Awards go to www.bfea.org.nz, or contact Kirsten Winter, Bay of Plenty Regional Coordinator, phone 027 5721 244 email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Farm Environment Awards were established in 1993 as a joint initiative between the Waikato Conservation Board and Environment Waikato. In 1995 an independant Trust (Farm Environment Award Trust) was set up to administer the awards. Ballance Agri-Nutrients, along with other key sponsors are working with the Trust and Regional Councils to develop the awards throughout New Zealand.
The key objectives of the Awards are to display to farmers that profitability need not be compromised and, in the best examples, can restore and enhance environmental values.
Through feedback and profiling winners, the Awards encourage other farmers to be more proactive in their resource management by providing them with role models for sustainable land management.
The awards look at whole farm systems and strongly promote the positive. Every entrant is given feedback from specialist judges.
The key question the Trust asks is, "Can what is being done now, still be working successfully in 100 years?"
Comments from previous entrants
The previous participants from different regions have stated some benefits from entering:
- Linking sustainable farming practices to long-term profitability.
- Discussing practical farm information and business with judges from a range of fields.
- Gathering new ideas and different methods from other entrants.
- Confirming that your current farm management practices are sustainable.
- Prizes and recognition
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients
- Massey University
- Hill Laboratories
- CB Norwood Distributors
- New Zealand Farm Environment Award Trust
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council
- ZespriTM International Limited
- Ports of Tauranga