Ballance Farm Environment Awards
The Ballance Farm Environment Awards invites you to enter the awards to share your knowledge of sustainability with others. Be part of New Zealand's leading sustainable farming network.
Click here to enter
Sustainable Land Management - Main Objective
The overall objective of the Ballance Farm Environment Awards is to promote sustainable land management on New Zealand farms believing that role models and education are effective tools to improving farming practices. This objective is achieved by:
- The judging process, which we aim to keep mutually enjoyable and informative
- Our commitment to practical solutions, which benefit people as well as the land
- Our support for diversity - there's never one right answer, it's about what works
- Our deed requires us to use objective criteria to determine sustainable management where practical
Our down-to-earth approach to communicating sustainable management concepts which relies on real people and their stories
Nationwide Ballance Farm Environment awards
Nine regions will participate in the Ballance Farm Environment Awards this year - Waikato, Southland, Canterbury, Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay, Wellington, Horizons, Otago and Northland.
Why should you enter?
The benefits of entering the Ballance Farm Environment Awards include:
- linking sustainable farming practices to long-term profitability
- discussing practical farm information and business with judges from a range of fields
- gathering new ideas and different methods from other entrants
- confirming that your current farm management practices are sustainable
- prizes and recognition
Award categories include:
- Supreme Award
- National Award
- Ballance Nutrient Management Award
- LIC Dairy Farm Award
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand Livestock Award
- Hill Laboratories harvest award
- PGG Wrightson Land and Life Award
- Massey University Discovery Award
- New Zealand Farm Environment Award Trust Habitat Improvement Award
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council Environmental Awards
For more information on the BoP Ballance Farm Environment Awards go to www.bfea.org.nz, or contact Kirsten Winter, Bay of Plenty Regional Coordinator, phone (07) 573 5238 email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Farm Environment Awards were established in 1993 as a joint initiative between the Waikato Conservation Board and Environment Waikato. In 1995 an independant Trust (Farm Environment Award Trust) was set up to administer the awards. Ballance Agri-Nutrients is working with the trust and Regional Councils to develop the awards throughout New Zealand.
The key objectives of the Awards are to display to farmers that profitability need not be compromised and, in the best examples, can restore and enhance environmental values.
Through feedback and profiling winners, the Awards encourage other farmers to be more proactive in their resource management by providing them with role models for sustainable land management.
The awards look at whole farm systems and strongly promote the positive. Every entrant is given feedback from specialist judges.
The key question the Trust asks is, "Can what is being done now, still be working successfully in 100 years?"
Comments from previous entrants
The previous participants from different regions have stated some benefits from entering:
- Linking sustainable farming practices to long-term profitability.
- Discussing practical farm information and business with judges from a range of fields.
- Gathering new ideas and different methods from other entrants.
- Confirming that your current farm management practices are sustainable.
- Prizes and recognition
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients
- Massey University
- Hill Laboratories
- New Zealand Farm Environment Award Trust
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council
- ZespriTM International Limited