Kaituna River Re-diversion and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Enhancement Project
Image above shows overview of planned work to re-divert Kaituna River and enhance Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary.
Goal of this project:
To significantly increase the volume of water (particularly fresh water) flowing from the Kaituna River into Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary by 2018 in a way that maximises the ecological and cultural benefits (particularly wetlands and kaimoana) while limiting the economic cost and adverse environmental effects to acceptable levels.
The proposed re-diversion will maximise the flow into the Ongatoro/Maketu estuary while keeping Te Tumu cut open for flood protection and boating access.
The re-diversion will significantly change the existing landscape, particularly to low-lying land north of Ford’s Cut. It will also re-create at least 20 hectares of wetland habitat, partially restoring the landscape to what it looked like before 1956.
See the Project Background page for further information about the rationale and preparatory work behind this project.
What's happening at the moment?
All of the land acquisitions and detailed designs for the project have now been completed. See an updated map of publicly owned land around the Estuary.
Main re-diversion construction works are scheduled to start in spring 2017, subject to co-funding and contract negotiations. In the meantime, complimentary work on Papahikahawai Island is underway as below. The Papahikahawai bridge was installed and causeways removed the week of 5 June 2017.
Due to a request from iwi representatives and kaumatua, the ancestral name of the estuary (Te Awa o Ngatoroirangi) will now be used instead of the abbreviated version (Ongatoro) on signage and information about the project and Regional Council’s other work around Te Awa o Ngatoroirangi/Maketū Estuary.
Funding for the project has been budgeted for in the Bay of Plenty Regional Council 2015-25 Long Term Plan which was adopted on 25 June 2015.
Resource consent and land designation decision documents
- Decision of the Environment Court 18 May 2016 (10.8MB, pdf)
- Resource Consent and Notice of Requirement decision report 1 July 2015 (550KB, pdf)
- Resource consent conditions 1 July 2015 (220KB, pdf)
- Land designation conditions 1 July 2015 (80KB, pdf)
- Designation plan (4MB, pdf)
- Plan 1 - proposed construction works (21.4MB, pdf)
- Plan 2 - proposed Ford Rd realignment (10.4MB, pdf)
- Plan 3 - proposed Ford Rd realignment cross-sections part 2 (1.16MB, pdf)
- Plan 4 - proposed Ford Rd realignment cross-sections part 3 (1.15MB, pdf)
- Plan 5 - proposed culvert installations (5.06MB, pdf)
- Plan 6 - Fords loop channel plan (6.8MB, pdf)
- Plan 7 - proposed channel and exiting Ford's cut channel remedial works (9.55MB, pdf)
- Plan 8 - proposed channel and existing Fords cut cross sections part 1 (1.24MB, pdf)
- Plan 9 - proposed channel and existing Fords cut cross sections part 2 (1.19MB, pdf)
- Plan 10 - land use plan (14.4MB, pdf)
- Plan 11 - Papahikahawai Island remediation plan (10.3MB, pdf)
- Plan 12 - resource consent monitoring sites plan (19.5MB, pdf)
Resource consent and Notice of Requirement application documents
Kaituna River Re-diversion and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Enhancement Project Notice of Requirement and Resource Consent Application, lodged July 2014:
Application Cover Page (pdf, 272KB)
Change Log (pdf, 193KB)
Volume A: Assessment of Environmental Effects
Volume B: Technical Reports
- Summary and Analysis of Options and Alternatives, BOPRC 2013 (1.83MB)
- Full Pre Consent Consultation Report, Opus 2013 (pdf, 188KB)
- Numerical Modelling, DHI 2014 Part 1 (pdf, 25.8MB)
- Numerical Modelling, DHI 2014 Part 2 (pdf, 24.1MB)
- Maketu Estuary: Effect of Proposed Rediversion on Coastal Erosion, ECONOMOS, 2014 (pdf, 2.78MB)
- Summary of effects resulting from water level changes, Waterline 2014 (pdf,1.82MB)
- Terrestrial avian wetland restoration ecology assessment of environmental effects, Opus 2014 (pdf, 7.05MB)
- Ongatoro Maketū estuary condition and potential ecological effects, River Lake 2014 (pdf, 4.30MB)
- Microbiological health risk of bathing and shellfish gathering in the Maketū estuary, River Lake 2014 (pdf, 819KB)
- Extent of wetland vegetation in Maketu Estuary 1939 to 2011, BOPRC 2014 (pdf, 972KB)
- Maketu social and recreational use impacts assessment report, BOP Polytechnic 2014 (pdf, 5.04MB)
- Construction Description and Drawings, Waterline 2014 (pdf, 842KB)
- Cultural Impact Assessments, various 2014
Volume C: Drawing Set
- Designation Plan, Opus 2014 (pdf, 4.04MB)
- Construction drawings, Waterline & Opus 2014
- Cover Sheet (pdf, 170KB)
- 01 Location Plan and general layout plan of land ownership & existing features (pdf, 2.10MB)
- 02 Proposed Construction works (pdf, 5.32MB)
- 03 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - Plan and longsection - Sheet 1 of 2 (pdf, 3.10MB)
- 04 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - Plan and longsection - Sheet 2 of 2 (pdf, 2.62MB)
- 05 Proposed Ford Road parking and boat ramp (pdf, 252KB)
- 06 Proposed Ford Road parking and boat ramp - vehicle turning paths (pdf, 327KB)
- 07 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 1 of 7 (pdf, 174KB)
- 08 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 2 of 7(pdf, 244KB)
- 09 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 3 of 7 (pdf, 229KB)
- 10 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 4 of 7 (pdf, 182KB)
- 11 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 5 of 7(pdf, 200KB)
- 12 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 6 of 7 (pdf, 246KB)
- 13 Proposed Ford Road re-alignment - cross sections - sheet 7 of 7 (pdf, 181KB)
- 14 Proposed culvert installations - plan and longsection and typical section (pdf, 832KB)
- 15 Ford's Loop channel- plan and section 'A-A' (pdf, 1.29MB)
- 16 Proposed channel and existing Ford's cut - channel remedial works - plan & sections (pdf, 1.68MB)
- 17 Proposed channel and existing Ford's cut - cross sections - sheet 1 of 2 (pdf, 2.44MB)
- 18 Proposed channel and existing Ford's cut - cross sections - sheet 2 of 2 (pdf, 242KB)
- 19 Land use plan (pdf, 0.98MB)
- 20 Papahikahawai Island - remediation plan (pdf, 892KB)
Post lodgement documents:
Alternative Ford Road boat ramp and parking facilities Notice of Requirement and Resource Consent Application, lodged December 2014:
Assessment of Environmental Effects (pdf, 58.8MB)
Agenda for 4-8 May hearing on resource consents and NOR applications
Evidence briefs from project team
- Jim Dahm on coastal processes (pdf, 2.41MB)
- Steve Everitt on hydological engineering (pdf, 1.29MB)
- Keith Hamill on ecology (pdf, 1.6MB)
- Martin Single on bar navigability (pdf, 665KB)
- Ben Tuckey on modelling (pdf, 478KB)
- Roger MacGibbon on flora, fauna and wetland restoration (pdf, 317KB)
- Steph Brown on AEE and statutory processes (pdf, 660KB)
- Pim de Monchy on project, background and processes (pdf, 1.2MB)
Past project newsletters and presentations
- Kaituna River re-diversion and wetland creation project: Issue Five, August 2015 (pdf, 250KB)
- Kaituna River re-diversion and wetland creation project: Issue Four, May 2014 (pdf, 299KB)
- Kaituna River re-diversion and wetland creation project: Issue Three, March 2014 (pdf, 372KB)
- Kaituna River re-diversion and wetland creation project: Issue Two, September - October 2013 (pdf, 322KB)
- Kaituna River re-diversion and wetland creation project: Issue One, May - June 2013 (pdf, 327KB)
Assessment of Environmental Effects
Read the summary Environmental Effects Assessment:
Further information and technical reports are being prepared for the Resource Consent application. These will be made available here when finalised.
Further technical reports and feasibility study information is available on the Project Background page.