Rangitāiki River document now published and released
Friday, 6 March 2015 10:00 a.m.
Hard copies of Te Ara Whanui o Rangitāiki – Pathways of the Rangitaiki: River Document will be available at the Rangitāiki River Festival today.
Prepared by the Rangitāiki River Forum - a partnership between iwi and local councils - the document will guide future management of the Rangitāiki River catchment through the vision, desired outcomes and objectives for the river and its land.
Te Ara Whanui o Rangitāiki – Pathways of the Rangitāiki gives effect to parts of the Ngāti Manawa Claims Settlement Act 2012 and Ngāti Whare Claims Settlement Act 2012. Extensive consultation with local iwi and hapū formed part of the document’s completion process. It aims to help people identify issues and solutions around the health of the Rangitāiki River, now and in the future.
Local iwi and hapū, river-users and communities provided input that formed part of the document’s development, including actions that help protect and enhance the health of the Rangitāiki River, now and in the future.Te Ara Whānui o Rangitāikifulfils the legislation requirements of the Ngāti Manawa Claims Settlement Act 2012 and Ngāti Whare Claims Settlement Act 2012.
In future changes to the Regional Policy Statement, Bay of Plenty Regional Council will recognise and provide for the guidance set in the river document.
Te Ara Whānui o Rangitāiki is now online. Visit www.rangitaiki.org.nz. Copies will also be available for the public to view at the offices listed below from Friday, March 13.
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare (1188 Te Whāiti Road, Murupara)
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa (the green building on State Highway 38)
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa (4/10 Louvain Street, Whakatāne)
- Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust (Māori Investment House, Waterhouse Street Ext, Kawerau)
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council (5 Quay Street, Whakatāne, 1125 Arawa Street, Rotorua and 6 Rata Street, Mount Maunganui)
- Whakatāne District Council (14 Commerce Street, Whakatāne)
- Taupō District Council (72 Lake Terrace, Taupō)
- Kawerau District Library (29 Jellicoe Court, Kawerau)
- Taupō Library (Story Place, Taupō)
- Murupara Library (Civic Square, Murupara)
- Rotorua District Library (1127 Haupapa Street, Rotorua)
- Edgecumbe Library (38 College Road, Edgecumbe)
- Whakatāne Horizon Energy Library (Kakahoroa Drive, Whakatāne).