Rena exclusion zone still in force
Monday, 7 July 2014 3:00 p.m.
The two nautical mile exclusion zone for all vessels around the Rena wreck on the Bay of Plenty’s Astrolabe Reef (Otaiti) is still in place.
Bay of Plenty Regional Council Manager of Maritime Operations Reuben Fraser said a letter to the Bay of Plenty Times last week claiming there was no longer a marine patrol around the reef was incorrect. He urged people to be aware of the exclusion zone while out on the water.
“The Rena response operations are still underway, and they need to be able to work without hindrance from other vessels.”
So far there have been 138 recorded breaches of the exclusion zone since the start of 2013, and 12 infringements have been issued. Those not issued with an infringement notice were minor or inadvertent breaches.
Patrols are continuing daily around the exclusion zone and anyone found in the exclusion zone without the express permission from the Harbour Master may be fined, he said.
The Rena marine operational site is set by the Regional Council Harbour Master, and Resolve Salvage & Fire has autonomy over water 1000 m from the reef. The company is patrolling the area and honorary warrants will be provided to Resolve skippers to collect names and addresses of those who breach the zone.
Download a high resolution map of the exclusion zone (6.5MB).