Regional Council to extend Kopeopeo Canal submission time
Tuesday, 7 May 2013 1:45 p.m.
Bay of Plenty Regional Council has asked consent authorities to extend the closing period of submissions for its Kopeopeo Canal Remediation Consent Application by one week.
Submissions will now close at 5pm on Friday 17 May 2013.
The Regional Council’s Natural Hazards General Manager Ken Tarboton said the Council was responding to requests from the public at last week’s project Open Days in Whakatane that people needed more time to understand the information before they could make a submission.
“We are also organising a hui to be held on a marae with the community early next week. Extending the submission time will allow time for this to happen before submissions close,” he said.
The Regional Council has applied for resource consent to remove and clean up sediment contaminated with dioxins from the canal. It is working with the community on the project, using a staged approach to remove, safely store and clean up the contaminated sediment using bioremediation. The method breaks down contaminants using a combination of fungi, bacteria and plants to degrade dioxin.
Surface run-off and stormwater containing Pentachlorophenol (PCP) and dioxins from the NZ Forest Products Ltd sawmill was discharged into the canal between 1950 and 1989. PCP was used as a wood preservative to treat timber contained dioxins that can harm human health.
The project is expected to cost $4.4 million, equally funded by the Ministry for the Environment through the Contaminated Sites Remediation Fund (CSRF) and Bay of Plenty Regional Council.