Changes to Onsite Effluent Treatment Plan underway
Tuesday, 27 November 2012 3:00 p.m.
Public are being asked to submit on proposed changes to the regional plan that looks at how domestic wastewater can be suitably disposed of on properties and the effects of this on water quality.
Bay of Plenty Regional Council is currently reviewing its Onsite Effluent Treatment Plan, which deals with the effects of domestic wastewater discharge and the effects of this on water quality in the region.
Proposed Plan Change 2 (Maintenance Zones) has been formally notified for public submissions. Submissions on the plan must be made before 30 January 2013.
Regional Council General Manager Strategy Fiona McTavish said the changes being proposed to the plan better reflect what is now known about domestic wastewater discharge and the impact it is having on the quality of water in our region.
"We have identified a number of locations where the methods of discharging wastewater needs to be addressed and monitored, to ensure a sustainable future for our waterways," Ms McTavish said.
Earlier this year the Regional Council collected initial views and feedback on the plan through a series of community meetings.
"We amended the plan change to address those issues and have now prepared Proposed Plan Change 2 (Maintenance Zones), which specifically looks at the requirements and regulations in places where water quality is becoming an issue."
For more information call the Regional Council on 0800 884 880 or visit the website at www.boprc.govt.nz/oset