Skip to main content


Home > Latest News > Media Releases > Media Releases 2011 > October 2011 > RENA update from Maritime NZ (134)

RENA update from Maritime NZ (134)

Wednesday, 2 November 2011 6:30 a.m.

  • Rena has remained intact overnight. This has been confirmed by the crew on board the Go Canopus and the motion sensors attached to ship.
  • The conditions around the Astrolabe Reef remain poor, with a 3 metre sea state and winds of around 29 knots.
  • We are now waiting for daylight to confirm what damage the ship has sustained overnight. We have no information about the status of the containers on board the vessel at this point, or whether any fresh oil has been released.
  • It is important to note that the full extent of the impact of the current bad weather on Rena will not be known until we have full daylight and the salvage team is able to make an assessment. This may take some time as visibility is poor and conditions could make it difficult to undertake aerial observation. The crew on board the Go Canopus will also be reporting on the condition of the vessel.

9am update:

  • No aerial observation flights have been able to go up due to poor visibility. This is unlikely to change before this afternoon at the earliest.
  • However, both the Go Canopus and the on-board sensors confirm the Rena remains intact.
  • We will update you if the situation changes.


Rena Awanuia and reef 21 oct