Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy
The Kaituna River, wetlands and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary are taonga valued by the community for their clean water, healthy ecosystems, recreational and cultural values.
The vision for the Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy is to ensure that as a wider community our policies and plans, our activities and actions "celebrate and honour Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary life as taonga - Whakanuia, whakamawawatia te mauri o te Kaituna me Ongatoro hei taonga".
The Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy sets out why people value this environment; their concerns and a vision for its future.
The views of the community have formed the backbone of this Strategy. It outlines how the future of the Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary will be shaped.
- Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy (5.7MB, pdf) NOTE: Large file
- Strategy summary sheet (308KB, pdf)
Regional Council has a number of projects that help implement the Strategy. A major project is the:
- Kaituna River re-diversion and wetland creation project. This page is in development and will be availalbe in mid May 2013.
The most recent progress report was produced for 2009-2010. The report includes the progress made towards each of the four outcomes by different agencies and community groups. As well as looking back on what has happened over that year, the report also looks at the future steps in implementing the Strategy and an artistic impression of what the area could look like in the future.
A hardcopy is available upon request by emailing email@example.com
For more detailed information on Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary and its catchment visit:
- Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy - Public Feedback Report (Kaituna Maketu Joint Council Committee's response to public feedback about the Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy) (410KB, pdf)
- Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Discussion Document on Potential Re-diversion Option (2298KB, pdf)
To order an electronic copy (in CD) of the background documents for the Kaituna River and Ongatoro/Maketu Estuary Strategy, including Focus Group reports and iwi history reports, please contact us.
- Operations Publication 2005/01 - Kaituna River Major Scheme Hydraulic Review
- Operations Publication 2008/08 - Kaituna River to Maketu Estuary rediversion recommended options
- Environmental Publication 2007/16 - Lower Kaituna Catchment and Water Quality
- NIWA - Baseline Study of the Potential Impact of Increased Trout Numbers in the Kaituna River on Whitebait, 2005
- P Wallace - Ford's Cut history and bank erosion assessment, 2008
- P Wallace - Hydraulic modelling of the Kaituna River, 2009
- P Wallace - Rediversion of Kaituna River into Maketu Estuary Hydraulic Modelling and Costing, 2007
- Wildlands Consultants - Vegetation and Habitat Types of the Lower Kaituna River, Western Bay of Plenty, 2007