Regional Water and Land Plan
The purpose of the Regional Water and Land Plan (RWLP) is to promote the sustainable and integrated management of land and water resources within the Bay of Plenty Region. To achieve this, the RWLP has policies and methods (which include rules) to address issues of use, development and protection of land resources, geothermal resources and freshwater resources, including the beds and margins of water bodies. The resources covered by the Regional Water and Land Plan are:
The Regional Water and Land Plan replaced the Regional Land Management Plan and Transitional Regional Plan.
Changes to the RWLP
Proposed Plan Change 9 (Region-wide Water Quantity)
Is looking to improve how we manage the allocation of water in the region and ensure it is being used efficiently.
Publicly notified 18 October 2016.Submissions closed 14 December 2016.
Visit the Water Quantity Plan Change page.
Proposed Plan Change 10
(Lake Rotorua Nutrient Management)
Introduces rules to limit the amount of nitrogen entering Lake Rotorua from land use.
The rules will affect rural properties in the Lake Rotorua Catchment.
Publicly notified 29 February 2016.
Submissions closed 27 April 2016.
Hearings are scheduled for March 2017.
Visit the Lake Rotorua Nutrient Management Plan Change page.
Download the plan
- Cover and Contents (350KB, pdf)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (402KB, pdf)
- Chapter 2 - Kaitiakitanga (78KB, pdf)
- Chapter 3 - The Integrated Management of Land and Water (350KB, pdf)
- Chapter 4 - Discharges to Water and Land (164KB, pdf)
- Chapter 5 - Water Quantity and Allocation (564KB, pdf)
- Chapter 6 - Beds of Rivers, Streams, Lakes and Wetlands (82KB, pdf)
- Chapter 7 - Geothermal Resource (299KB, pdf)
- Chapter 8 - Wetlands (67KB, pdf)
- Chapter 9 - Regional Rules (1,359KB, pdf)
- Chapter 10 - Financial Contributions (37KB, pdf)
- Chapter 11 - Information to be Submitted with Resource Consent Applications (28KB, pdf)
- Chapter 12 - Anticipated Environmental Results (53KB, pdf)
- Chapter 13 - Cross Boundary Issues (46KB, pdf)
- Chapter 14 - Plan Review Process (37KB, pdf)
- Schedules (2456KB, pdf)
- Definition of Terms (654KB, pdf)
- Bibliography (40KB, pdf)
- Index (110KB, pdf)
- Appendix 1 (41KB, pdf)
Water Quality Classification Maps
- Index (1035KB, pdf)
- T14 - Morrinsville (616KB, pdf)
- T/U13 - Paeroa/Waihi Beach (972KB, pdf)
- U14 - Tauranga (2313KB, pdf)
- U15 - Ngongotaha (2777KB, pdf)
- U16 - Rotorua (1382KB, pdf)
- U-V17 - Murupara (2005KB, pdf)
- U-V18 - Taupo/Whirinaki (1381KB, pdf)
- U-V19 - Kaimanawa/Te Haroto (419KB, pdf)
- V14 - Maketu (459KB, pdf)
- V15 - Edgecumbe (2105KB, pdf)
- V16 - Tarawera (1849KB, pdf)
- V-W18 - Whirinaki/Waikaremoana (1136KB, pdf)
- W15 - Whakatane (1460KB, pdf)
- W16 - Waimana (2845KB, pdf)
- W17 - Urewera (3427KB, pdf)
- X14 - Te Kaha (484KB, pdf)
- X15 - Omaio (1756KB, pdf)
- X16 - Motu (1802KB, pdf)
- X17 - Matawai (408KB, pdf)
- Y14 - Cape Runaway (585KB, pdf)
- Y15 - Hikurangi (1177KB, pdf)
- Y16 - Tauwhareparae (374KB, pdf)
Stopbanks and Other Flood Control Structures Maps (Rule 45)
The following maps are referred to as part of Rule 45 (Permitted - Damming and Diversion of Flood Waters by Existing Flood Control Structures).
Copies of maps for other areas covered by Stopbanks and Other Flood Control Structure Permitted by Rule 45 are available from Bay of Plenty Regional Council on request.
Implementing the Water and Land Plan
The following information sheets have been produced to track progress made with implementing methods in the plan. Further information sheets will be produced in relation to other chapters.
Erosion Hazard Zone maps
The following maps form part of the Erosion Hazard Zone,referred to in Section 9.2 of the rules and in the Erosion Hazard Zone definition of the plan.
A compendium document is available Ngā Whakaaetanga-ā-Ture ki Te Taiao ā Toi (Statutory Acknowledgements in the Bay of Plenty) to the operative Bay of Plenty Regional Policy Statement and regional plans is available. Check out the Statutory Acknowledgements webpage>> for more information.
Order a copy of the Regional Water and Land Plan
Order the plan by phone 0800 884 880 or email us at email@example.com. The costs are as follows (all prices include GST):
- Regional Water and Land Plan - $55
- CD containing the Regional Water and Land Plan and all Maps - $15
- 1:50 000 scale Water Classification Map - $15
The Regional Water and Land Plan is available to view at Bay of Plenty Regional Council offices, all public libraries throughout the Bay of Plenty and service centres of Bay of Plenty's city and District Councils.