Skip to main content

Navigation Safety Bylaw

Bay of Plenty Regional Council's maritime team is responsible for a large area from Waihi Beach in the north to Lottin Point near the East Cape and 12 nautical miles out to sea. It also oversees the Rotorua lakes, the region's rivers and Tauranga, Maketu, Thornton, Pukehina, Whakatane, Ohiwa and Opotiki harbours and estuaries.

The Navigation Safety Bylaw helps Bay of Plenty Regional Council manage the use of the region's lakes, harbours, waterways and off shore areas. There is a legal requirement to review the bylaw at regular intervals.

Navigation Safety Bylaw Review 2015-2016

The Local Government Act requires that we review our Navigation Safety Bylaw every five years. We have just launched this review here in the Bay of Plenty and we are keen to hear your feedback on the current bylaw and how this can be improved. To find out more about this review and how you can participate click here.

Adopted Changes to Bay of Plenty Regional Navigation Safety Bylaw 2010

Harbour Dues (Port Charges) 2015-2016

Under section 150 of the Local Government Act, Council can set fees or charges in respect to matters provided for in a bylaw.

Council’s Navigation Safety Bylaw 2010 (clause 5.5) contains provision for charges to be made in relation to mooring licences, commercial operating licences and Port Charges (listed under schedule 7 of the Bylaw).

Council have approved the increase to Port Charges from 1 July 2015 to allow for inflation, using the special consultative process set out in section 83 of the Local Government Act. These charges have not increased since 1 August 2013.

The adopted change is:

  • the Port Charge be increased by Council’s cost of inflation adjustment (1.9%) and a further 1% to bring the charge back into line with Council’s current policy of recovery from users (total increase 2.9%). 
  • Harbour Dues will increase to $11.65 per 1,000 gross tonnage.

The fees for commercial operating licenses and mooring licences have not increased in the 2015-2016 financial year. Council's mooring management approach and bylaw are under review in 2015.

To find out more, read the Long Term Plan page.

Existing Policy for 2014-2015

Harbour Dues (Port Charges)

  • For each vessel exceeding 1,000 gross tonnage, $11.32 per 1000 gross tonnage or part thereof for each use of the Harbour.
    Goods and Services tax will be added to these charges.
  • Download the Harbour Dues (Port Charges letter) (70KB, pdf)

Mooring Licence

  • Annual Fee of $139.00.
    Administrative fee of  $80.00 - processing new applications, lease agreements, change of ownership.

Commercial Navigation and Safety Licence

  • Commercial activities $103.00 per operation/per annum plus actual and reasonable costs of audits and inspections.
    Goods and Services tax will be added to these charges.