Bay of Plenty has lots of recreational and commercial diving opportunities.
The following is a list of rules and reccomendations:
- Always dive in pairs and have an observer in the boat
- Do not dive in shipping lanes or areas of frequent traffic
- Agree to a dive plan, and then adhere to it
- Display the International Code A Flag from the dive boat
- Do not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of a Code A flag.
The Code A Flag means: “I have a diver down, keep well clear at slow speed”.
The dive flag must not be less than 600 mm by 600 mm in size and must be visible from a distance of 200 metres.
All craft must reduce speed to a maximum of five knots within 200 metres of a Code A Flag.
This flag may also be attached to a small marker buoy towed by a diver.
It may also be flown by craft escorting long distance swimmers.