Proposed Plan Change 9 and other supporting documents
Updated 19 December 2016
Submissions to Region-wide Water Quantity Proposed Plan Change 9 closed at 4pm on Wednesday 14 December 2016. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to participate in the process. Council will now summarise submissions and notify for further submissions around May 2017.
To ask questions about the proposed plan change please contact Glenys Kroon, Senior Policy Analyst by phone toll free on 0800 884 881 ext 8324.
The changes in the plan address regional water allocation issues and existing urgent regional problems such as:
- Lack of clear limits to water allocation especially for groundwater.
- Limited knowledge of actual use vs. allocation.
- High level of allocation in some resources.
- Inefficiencies in allocation and use of water.
- Unauthorised water use.
We are proposing the plan change will:
- Enhance metering and reporting requirements.
- Require properties that use more than the Permitted Activity volume, but don’t need a resource consent to meter and report water use.
- Reduce the volume of groundwater available without resource consent for properties smaller than 5 hectares.
- Introduce a new rule to assist dairy farms that require a resource consent for milk cooling and wash down to become compliant.
- Introduce a new Controlled Activity rule for renewals of municipal takes at the same rate and volume.
- Make obtaining new water take consents in under allocated resources easier to obtain. New water take consents in over allocated resources will be more difficult to obtain.
- Increase sharing of water resources by transfers and the likely associated increase in the establishment of Water User Groups.
This work is about all of us thriving together in our region – mo te taiao, mo ngā tangata.
The plan change was adopted by Council on 9 August and notified on 18 October 2016. Submissions will be open for 40 days closing at 4.00pm on Wednesday, 14 December 2016.
Below are Proposed Plan Change 9 and other supporting documents.
The report “Assessment of Water Availability and Estimates of Current Allocation Levels October 2016” can assist water users to access information about water availability and understand the basis by which availability was assessed. It will be updated regularly and is not part of the plan change.
Key contact: Glenys Kroon Phone 0800 884 881 Ext 8324 email@example.com
Note: Under section 86B of the Resource Management Act all plan changes affecting water have effect when notified (18 October 2016).
Previous information can be found here.