Current notified applications
Badala Property Development Limited
Badala Property Development Limited propose to abstract cold groundwater from a consented bore:
- At an abstraction rate of 21 litres per second (for irrigation) and 23 litres per second (for frost protection.
- At a maximum daily volume for irrigation being 145 cubic metres (100 days per year).
- At a maximum daily volume for frost protection being 812 cubic metres (10 days per year).
- At a maximum annual volume of 21,298 cubic metres.
- To supply a 2.9 hectare kiwifruit orchard.
This is a new water take application.
The activity is to be located on the applicant's property at 856 State Highway 2, Paengaroa.
Legal description: Lot 2 Deposited Plan South Auckland 44836 (Western Bay of Plenty District).
An advertising notification (30KB) was placed in the Bay of Plenty Times on Tuesday, 12 November 2013 and the Te Puke Times on Thursday, 14 November 2013.
The submission period for this consent application closes at 5.00 pm on Thursday, 12 December 2013.
Rotorua District Council (Resource consent change application number 60739)
Rotorua District Council proposes to change the conditions of its resource consent which authorises the discharge of treated wastewater from the Rotorua Wastewater Treatment Plant at Ngapuna to land in Whakarewarewa forest.
To ensure that the current wastewater treatment plant complies with its resource consent while options for wastewater treatment in Rotorua are investigated, Rotorua District Council proposes to make the following changes to the conditions of its consent as follows:
- Change the location of the monitoring point for nitrogen compliance from the Waipa Stream to the outlet at the Wastewater Treatment Plant;
- Increase the Nitrogen discharge limit of the activity from the current consent limit of 30 tonnes as measured in the Waipa Stream, to 51 tonnes as measured at the Wastewater Treatment Plant over a rolling 12 month period; and
- Increase the Phosphorus level from the current consent limit of 3 tonnes to 4 tonnes over a rolling 12 month period.
In order to provide for discharges beyond the expiry of consent 60739 in 2021, the applicant also proposes a new condition of consent outlining a strategy to investigate an alternative discharge system for treated effluent, apply for the necessary consents and implement the alternative discharge system.
An advertising notification (67KB) was placed in the Rotorua Daily Post on Friday, 18 October and the Rotorua Review on Wednesday, 23 October 2013.
The submission period for this consent change applications closes at 5.00 pm on Thursday, 21 November 2013.
Bay of Plenty Regional Council - Kopeopeo Canal Contamination Remediation Project
Hearing Deferral Information
The applicant has requested a deferral of the date of the hearing until Monday, 16 December 2013. This deferral is to allow for further time for submitters and the consent authorites to consider the further information recently supplied by the applicant.
The hearing has now been set to commence at 9.00am on Monday, 16 December 2013. The Hearing Committee will remain the same as previously determined.
A Joint Hearings Committee, including Alan Bickers (Chair), Nigel Mark-Brown and Gina Mohi will hear and decide on the Regional Council applications.
The same Committee, with the addition of Christine Chambers, will hear and decide on the applications to Whakatane District Council.
The following is an over view of the indicative timetable for the hearing:
|Monday 16/12/2013||9:00 am||Open Hearing/Presentation of Applicant's evidence|
|Tuesday||TBA||Presentation of Applicant's evidence and possible site visit (by Hearings Committee)|
|Wednesday||TBA||Submitters evidence and submissions|
|Thursday||TBA||Remaining Submitters' evidence and submissions, reporting planners presentations, and Applicant's right of reply|
Applications for resource consent have been received by Bay of Plenty Regional Council (consent number 67173) and Whakatane District Council (LL-2012-8085-00 and SS-2013-8133-00) from Bay of Plenty Regional Council (Natural Hazards Group).
The Regional Council is seeking consent to carry out works associated with removing contaminated sediment from the Kopeopeo Canal, transporting the sediment to three separate sites for remediation of the contaminated sediment in containment cells (designed to prevent leaching).
This application has been amended since it was first lodged, and anyone who provided written approval for the original application is encouraged to review the application to understand the differences between the original application and this one now being publicly notified.
Location: The remediation works are in the vicinity of the Kopeopeo Canal for a length of approximately 5.1km between State Highway 30 (at the intersection of Kope Drain Road) and the confluence of the Kopeopeo and Orini Canals (in the vicinity of Keepa Road), Whakatane.
The three sites where sediment is to be contained and remediated are located at:
- 1 and 26 Kope Drain Road, Whakatane (Allotment 29C1 Rangitaiki Parish)
- 49A Keepa Road, Whakatane (Allot 28B 9B 2B Rangitaiki Parish)
- 44 Keepa Road, Whakatane (Allot 216 Rangitaiki Parish)
Activities Requiring Consent from Bay of Plenty Regional Council:
- Disturbance of a contaminated site (for the purposes of removing contaminants from the Kopeopeo Canal).
- Earthworks associated with the removal of sediment from the Kopeopeo Canal (approximately 40,500 cubic meters).
- Ground and soil disturbance associated with the removal of vegetation (to enable access for excavators and trucks to the Kopeopeo Canal).
- Discharges of contaminants to land associated with the remediation sites.
- Taking, damming, diverting of surface water and discharge of contaminants to surface water associated with excavation works with the Kopeopeo Canal.
- Modification of a wetland associated with the works required to excavate contaminated sediment from the canal and to transport it to the remediation sites.
Activities Requiring Consent from Whakatane District Council:
- Earthworks associated with the removal of sediment from the Kopeopeo Canal, between State Highway 30 (at the intersection of Kope Drain Road) and the confluence of the Kopeopeo and Orini Canals (approximately 40,5000 cubic metres).
- Earthworks associated with the removal of 4,500 cubic metres of soil within the Coastal Protection Zone near the confluence of the Kopeopeo and Orini Canals.
- Earthworks associated with the excavation of 5,000 cubic metres of soil at 44 Keepa Road for the development of Containment Site 3.
- The establishment and operation of three Solid Waste Management and Disposal sites at: 1 and 26 Kope Drain Road - Containment Site 1, 49A Keepa Road - Containment Site 2 and 44 Keepa Road - Containment Site 3.
- Subdivision of 1 and 26 Kope Drain Road (Allotment 29C1, Rangitaiki Parish) to create a Lot for the establishment of Containment Site 1.
Update on Resource Consent Applications to Bay of Plenty Regional Council and Whakatane District Council - 8 November 2013
Applicant's Response to Request for Further Information (s92 RMA) and Information on Hearing
The applicant's response to the request for further information can be viewed during normal office hours at Bay of Plenty Regional Council, 5 Quay Street, Whakatane, or at Whakatane District Council, Commerce Street, Whakatane.
A CD containing the further information can also be requested from the Consents Section of Bay of Plenty Regional Council (phone 0800 884 880).
If you have any queries regarding the applications please contact:
Paula Golsby at Ryder Consulting Limited on 07 571 8289 or firstname.lastname@example.org for Regional Council consent enquiries.
Shane McGhie at Whakatane District Council on 07 306 0557 or email@example.com for District Council consent enquiries.