Making a Complaint
If you wish to complain about a vehicle on the beach based on the existing rules, please get as many details as possible, such as:
- License plate number
- Make and model of the vehicle
- Name or description of the driver
- The effects (actual or potential) that you saw or experienced personally.
- Photos (e.g. via a photo-capable cellphone)
If the vehicle is damaging mudflats or inter-tidal beaches, call Bay of Plenty Regional Council's Pollution Hotline on 0800 884 883.
If the vehicle is disturbing native birds in a Department of Conservation reserve, or disturbing marine mammals (like seals), contact the Conservation Hotline on 0800 362 468.
If the vehicle is breaching the district council's rules within the district council area, and is unlikely to have Council permission, call:
- Tauranga City Council: (07) 577 7000
- Western Bay of Plenty District Council: (07) 571 8008
- Whakatane District Council: (07) 306 0500
If the vehicle is driving dangerously, without a license plate, if there is alcohol/drugs involved, or if the driver is violent or threatening, call the nearest police station:
- Waihi Beach: (07) 863 5236
- Katikati: (07) 549 0004
- Tauranga: (07) 577 4300
- Mount Maunganui: (07) 575 3143
- Te Puke: (07) 573 9147
- Edgecumbe: (07) 304 9004
- Whakatane: (07) 308 5255
- Opotiki: (07) 315 1110
- Te Kaha: (07) 325 2828