Caring for your Harbour
There are many simple steps you can take to care for Tauranga Harbour: at home, around your garden or farm, and of course, on and around the water.
Keen to do more?
Some community groups are already doing great work to protect and improve the estuaries and surounding environment - you may like to get involved. To find out more please call Bay of Plenty Regional Council on 884 880.
Your home and garden
- Make sure your septic tank is in good working order
- Don't pour pollutants or wash paint brushes into storm water drains
- Wash your car on grass so pollutants don't go into storm water drains
- Plant native trees and shrubs to help attract birds
- Take rubbish, including green waste, to the landfill not the estuary and recycle wherever possible.
At the harbour
- Help your children learn why the harbour is important
- Walk on marked paths and tracks
- Park in marked areas
- Do not drive on the beach, dunes or mud flats
- Keep your dog on a leash near bird habitats, or avoid walking dogs in those locations. Obey dog exclusion notices
- Take your rubbish home - even better, pick up and dispose of other people's rubbish
- Regularly check that your boat is not leaking oil or pollutants
- Avoid gathering shellfish after a heavy rain as poor water quality may mean they are unsafe to eat.
Your farm or lifestyle block
- Fence streams and waterways to keep stock off streambanks and out of the water (a reticulated stock water supply provides better environmental care)
- Plant along streams and waterways (ideally in native plants relevant to the harbour environments)
- Avoid overgrazing steep slopes and pasture near waterways
- Catch and control stock effluent
- Avoid spraying chemicals near waterways
- Apply fertiliser sparingly and with care, especially near waterways
- Run a nutrient budget to avoid overuse of fertiliser
- Minimise use of tracks that may damage riparian or wetland areas
- Call Bay of Plenty Regional Council on 0800 884 880 for a copy of 'A Guide to Regional Plans Farming Activities'
Financial assistance may be available for some of these actions.