The He Toka Tūmoana - Toi Moana Environmental Scholarship is a Council approved initiative established in 2017 to recognise and support students who are undertaking study, research or training that aligns with the enhancement of our Taiao (environment).
|Go to eligibility criteria and online form now.|
In 2018 the He Toka Tūmoana Scholarship was awarded to four local students who each received a scholarship award of $2500. Applications for the He Toka Tūmoana – Toi Moana Environmental Scholarship 2019 are now open. .
Four scholarships valued at $2500 each have been awarded in 2018 to:
- Vanessa Taikato who is studying towards a PhD in Biological Sciences.
- Ashlei McMahon who is studying towards a Diploma in Environmental Management.
- Julie Shepherd who is studying towards Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Planning.
- Frances Teinakore-Curtis who is studying towards a PhD in Environmental Studies.
The benefits of the scholarship are to:
- Focus on environmental education and kaitiakitanga/guardianship.
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing environmental knowledge.
- Raise environmental awareness and understanding.
- Provide financial support to students.
- Encourage Mātauranga Māori research and education.
- Promote leadership and innovation.
The successful applicants will receive one of four scholarships valued at $2500 each to assist in education, activities, research and projects.
The scholarship is available to students who:
- Are NZ citizens.
- Reside or whakapapa (share a genealogical connection) within the Bay of Plenty region.
- Are enrolled (or have an intention to enrol) in a course of study which contributes to the enhancement of the environment.
- Are 16 years of age or older.
All applications (by mail or via online form below) must be received with the following supporting documentation no later than 22 March 2019:
- Brief proposal (300 words) - mandatory
- Curriculum vitae (CV) - maximum 2 pages - mandatory
- Proof of enrolment (or intention to enrol) in study, training or research programme - mandatory
- Character reference (1 page or less) - optional