Whakatane District Rates Information
Whakatane District Council administers rates (except for minor rivers and drainage scheme rates) on behalf of Bay of Plenty Regional Council. For questions regarding the payment of your rates, payment options, due dates, penalties or remission policy contact Whakatane District Council: www.whakatane.govt.nz
For other queries contact Bay of Plenty Regional Council: Contact us
What do your rates pay for?
General Rate (land value) and Uniform Annual General Charge
- Regional Leadership including Governance and Accountability, Strategic Policy, and Sustainable Communities activities. Examples of this are the work we do with our elected members, producing our strategies, policies and plans; providing regional parks; supporting our Environmental Enhancement Fund; and our role in Civil Defence Emergency Management.
- Natural Environment including Sustainable Land Management, Sustainable Water Management, Sustainable Coastal Management, Sustainable Air Management, Resource Regulation and Regional Monitoring. This work includes our biodiversity and biosecurity work; work on the Rotorua lakes; Resource Consents and Pollution Prevention activities.
- Sustainable Development and Infrastructure including Sustainable Transport, and Sustainable Regional Development activities. This includes the work we do within the region to lead and promote economic development.
- Flood Protection and Control Works īncluding Rivers, Drainage and Flood Management activity.
For more information about this visit our Ten Year Plan page.
Rangitāiki-Tarawera river scheme rates are calculated by area for properties in the Rangitāiki-Tarawera catchment area. This rate part-funds the Rangitāiki-Tarawera river scheme work programme.
Whakatāne-Waimana targeted rates are are calculated using a combination of area and site charges for properties in the Whakatāne-Waimana Catchment. This rate part-funds the Whakatāne-Waimana work programme.
Rangitāiki Drainage targeted rates are calculated by area for properties in the Rangitāiki Plains catchment area. This rate fully funds the Rangitāiki-Tarawera river scheme work programme.
Minor Rivers and Drainage Rates are calculated using area for properties in the Rangitaiki Plains Catchment. For more information see below.
Rating Information Database
- The rating information database for Bay of Plenty Regional Council, the Whakatāne-Waimana Rivers Scheme, the Rangitāiki-Tarawera Rivers Scheme, and the Rangitāiki Drainage Scheme is available for inspection at the offices of Whakatane District Council (Commerce Street, Whakatāne)
- Property owners may request in writing to Whakatane District Council, as Bay of Plenty Regional Council's rating agent, to withhold his or her name or postal address (or both) from the database.
- The rating information database for the 34 communal pumped drainage schemes on the Rangitāiki Plains is available for inspection at the offices of Bay of Plenty Regional Council (Quay Street, Whakatāne). Property owners may request in writing to Bay of Plenty Regional to withhold his or name or postal address (or both) from the database.
Minor Communally Pumped Drainage Schemes
Bay of Plenty Regional Council administers and collects the rates for 34 minor communally pumped drainage schemes on the Rangitāiki Plains. This rate is calculated by area for the following catchments.
- Omeheu West
- Awaiti West
- Omeheu Adjunct
- Angle Road
- Greigs Road
- Riverslea Road
- Long-view Richlands
- Omeheu East
- Robins Road
- Poplar Lane
- Awaiti East
The Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates are payable at the office of the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, Quay Street, P O Box 364, Whakatāne.
Your Rates Invoice
Minor River and Drainage Scheme rates are invoiced once a year. For the 2012/2013 rates are due on the 22nd of January 2013. Your rates invoice sets out how much is owed including any balances carried forward from last year.
Can I speak to someone about my individual rates invoice?
Yes, for Minor River and Drainage rates. Please call Bay of
Plenty Regional Council's Freephone 0800 884 880 and ask to speak
to our rates team.
For other rates, Whakatane District Council administers rates on Bay of Plenty Regional Council's behalf.
I. A charge of 10% is made on any instalment that has been
assessed for the 2012/2013 financial year that remains unpaid after
22 February 2013.
II. For rates levied prior to 1 July 2012 a charge of 10% shall be made on rates unpaid 5 July 2012, that remain unpaid on 17 August 2012.
III. A further charge of 10% shall be made on any rates to which a penalty has been added under (ii) if the rates remain unpaid on 22 February 2013.