Rotorua District (Part) Rates Information
Rotorua District Council administers rates on behalf of Bay of Plenty Regional Council. For questions about payment of your rates, payment options, due dates, penalties or remission policy contact Rotorua District Council: www.rdc.govt.nz
For other queries contact us
What your rates pay for
General Rate (land value) and Uniform Annual General Charge
- Regional Leadership including Governance and Accountability, Strategic Policy, and Sustainable Communities activities. Examples of this are the work we do with our elected members, producing our strategies, policies and plans; providing regional parks; supporting our Environmental Enhancement Fund; and our role in Civil Defence Emergency Management.
- Natural Environment including Sustainable Land Management, Sustainable Water Management, Sustainable Coastal Management, Sustainable Air Management, Resource Regulation and Regional Monitoring. This work includes our biodiversity and biosecurity work; work on the Rotorua lakes; Resource Consents and Pollution Prevention activities.
- Sustainable Development and Infrastructure including Sustainable Transport, and Sustainable Regional Development activities. This includes the work we do within the region to lead and promote economic development.
- Flood Protection and Control Works īncluding Rivers, Drainage and Flood Management activity.
Kaituna Catchment Control scheme targeted rates are calculated using a combination of area and site charges for properties in the Kaituna Catchment. This rate part-funds the Kaituna Catchment Control work programme.
Rangitaiki-Tarawera river scheme rates are calculated by area for properties in the Rangitaiki-Tarawera catchment area. This rate part-funds the Rangitāiki-Tarawera river scheme work programme.
Rotorua Passenger Transport targeted rates are calculated as a fixed charge per property in the Rotorua urban area. This rate part-funds the Passenger Transport work programme.
Rotorua Te Arawa Lakes Programme targeted rates are calculated as a fixed charge per property on three different land area categories.
1. Properties under 1.99 hectares
2. Properties between 2 and 9.99 hectares
3. Properties over 10 hectares
This rate part funds the Rotorua Te Arawa Lakes work programme.
Remission of targeted rates on forestry and bush
Is your property over 10 hectares and planted in exotic forest or is covered in indigenous vegetation or wetlands, and stock excluded?
You may qualify for a partial remission on your rates and only pay the under 1.99 hectare rate.
Applications will be accepted in writing February/March 2014 for the 2013/14 financial year.
Download the application form (800KB, doc)
For more information read the policy (116KB, pdf).
Rotorua Air Action Plan Implementation targeted rates are calculated as a fixed charge property in the Rotorua urban area. This rate part-funds the Rotorua Air Action Plan work programme
Rotorua Air - Clean Heat conversion rates are calculated based on environmental loans received under the Clean Heat conversion programme.
Currently both Rotorua District Council and Bay of Plenty Regional Council administer the targeted rates for Clean-Heat depending on your service level agreement. Council is moving towards transferring all environmental loan repayments to Rotorua District Council. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- CH bands of Clean Heat targeted rates are administered and collected by Rotorua District Council. In respect of these rates the days on which rates will become payable and any discounts or additional charges to be applied is determined by Rotorua District Council.
RA bands are collected by Bay of Plenty Regional Council or agent over a ten year period through rates postponement. These rates will be collected via direct debit weekly, fortnightly or monthly, as agreed by the ratepayer. The annual amount is due to be paid by 30 June of each financial year.
The policy on postponement and remission of Clean Heat targeted rates (150KB, pdf) applies to both CH and RA bands of rates. Council may remit targeted rates and/or annual loan repayments for rating units that are eligible for the Government rates rebate scheme.
In 2013/2014 a remission is available for low income households that qualify for the Central Government rate rebate scheme. Rotorua District Council administers the applications for the Central Government rates rebate scheme. We will notify you if you qualify for a clean heat remission on your targeted rates.
For more information about this visit our Annual Plan page.
Rating Information Database
- The rating information database for Bay of Plenty Regional Council, Kaituna Catchment Control Scheme and the Rangitaiki-Tarawera Rivers Scheme, is available for inspection at the offices of Rotorua District Council (Haupapa Street, Rotorua)
- Property owners may request in writing to Rotorua District Council, as Bay of Plenty Regional Council's rating agent, to withhold their name or postal address (or both) from the database.