Hapu/Iwi Resource Management Plans
What is a Hapu/Iwi Resource Management Plan?
A Hapu/Iwi Resource Management Plan (HIMP) is a document developed and approved by hapu and/or iwi. These plans describe resource management issues of importance to them as tangata whenua. The plans may also contain information relating to specific cultural values, historical accounts, descriptions of areas of interest (hapu/iwi boundaries/rohe) and consultation/engagement protocols for resource consents and/or plan changes.
Here's information about how we use hapu/iwi resource management plans in our work.
Importance of Hapu/Iwi Resource Management Plans
HIMP planning documents recognised by an iwi authority provide a mechanism in which tangata whenua interests can be considered in Council processes. There are specific legislative requirements which place a duty on Council staff to take these plans into account. In practice, local authorities must balance a number of competing interests, including hapu/iwi plans. The importance of HIMP planning documents is that they have been recognised by Bay of Plenty Regional Council.
Funding for Hapu/Iwi Resource Management Plans
The Regional Council provides a contribution (in part) to the development of HIMP plans. Annual Plan funding has been allocated so that these plans are continually developed reviewed or updated. The fund must cater for any eligible hapu and iwi within the bounds of the Bay of Plenty region. All funding applications are carefully considered.
Criteria for application
- Only those hapu and iwi with land interests in the Bay of Plenty Regional Council boundaries are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be in writing and signed by person/s duly authorised by the hapu/iwi.
- The proposed plan must be recognised by the relevant iwi authority and approved by a wide representation of the hapū/iwi.
- Funding will only be paid to an established Maori entitiy such as a marae committee, iwi authority, hapu trust or consultants acting on behalf of the applicant.
- A copy of the final plan will be lodged with Bay of Plenty Regional Council as a reference for staff. The plan name will be placed on this page.
- Please note that all recipients of hapu/iwi resource management funding agree to a copy of their hapu or iwi resource management plan (either new, revised or updated) being posted on Bay of Plenty Regional Council's website.
See HIMP documentation below to assist applications for funding.
Policies and Procedures for Funding to develop Hapū/Iwi Resource Management Planning documents of our Region (156KB, PDF)
Hapu/Iwi Resource Management Planning Application Form (56KB, PDF)
Pamphlet on Funding to Develop Hapu/Iwi Resource Planning Documents (156KB, PDF)
Official Lodgement Form for a Hapu/Iwi Planning Document (180KB, PDF)
For further information please contact Maori Policy staff at Bay of Plenty Regional Council on the contact details at the bottom of the page.
List of Hapu/Iwi Management Plans lodged with the Regional Council
IMP Plans lodged with the Council and recognised by the relevant iwi authority by Maori Constituency and location:
- Ngati Pukenga Resource Management Plan, 1993 - Western Bay of Plenty
- Nga Aukati Taonga o Tapuika me Waitaha, 1993 - Te Puke/Maketu
- Ngaiterangi Iwi Resource Management Plan, 1995 - Western Bay of Plenty/Tauranga
- Voices Nga Korero Whakahiahia o Ngaiterangi me Ngati Pukenga, 1999 - Western Bay of Plenty/Tauranga
- Ngapotiki Environmental Management Plan (Draft), 2001 - Western Bay of Plenty/Papapmoa
- Te Whatu: Ngaiterangi Natural Resources Environment Management Manual, 2002 - Tauranga
- Nga Taonga Tuku Iho - Pirirakau Hapu Environmental Management Plan, 2004 - Tauranga
- Whaia te mahere taiao o Hauraki - Hauraki Iwi Environmental Plan, 2004 - Paeroa/Thames
- Te Awanui: Tauranga Hardour Iwi Management Plan 2008 - Tauranga (7.6MB, PDF)
- Ngati Whakaue ki Maketu Hapu Iwi Resource Management Plan 2009 - Maketu
- Motiti Island Native Management Plan 2011 - Motiti Island
- Ngati Kahu Hapu Environmental Management Plan 2011 - Tauranga, Wairoa (1.6MB, PDF).
- Ngati Rangitihi Iwi Environmental Management Plan (Part 1) Report 2011 - Matata, Tarawera (4.28MB, PDF),
- Ngati Rangitihi Iwi Environmental Management Plan Map Book (Part 2) Report 2011 - Matata, Tarawera (19.5MB, PDF)
- Matakana Rangiwaea Hapu Management Plan 2012 - Matakana and Rangiwaea Islands - Part 1 (797 KB, PDF)
- Matakana Rangiwaea Hapu Management Plan 2012 - Matakana and Rangiwaea Islands - Part 2 (2 MB, PDF)
- Ngai Te Ahi Hapu Management Plan 2013 (5.3MB, PDF)
- Ngati Pukenga Iwi ki Tauranga Trust Iwi Management Plan 2013 (1.6 MB, PDF)
- Te Mana Taiao O Ngāi Tamarawaho Hapū Management Plan - 31 May (8.71MB, pdf)
- Tapuika Environmental Management Plan - July 2014 (21.8MB, pdf)
- Map Book - GIS Data Analysis Introduction (1.97MB, pdf)
- Map Book - Rohe and Resource Analysis (21.6MB, pdf)
- Map Book - Tapuika Marae Aerial Maps (8.26MB, pdf)
- Map Book - Tapuika Cultural Redress Lands - Reserves (2.14MB, pdf)
- Map Books - Tapuika Cultural Redress Lands - Forest Blocks (7.29MB, pdf)
- Tawharau o nga Hapu o Whakatohea 1993 - Opotiki
- Waahi Tapu Sites of Ngati Awa, 2000 - Whakatane
- Ngaitai Iwi Management Plan, Revised Edition 1999 (formally lodged 2008) - Torere
- Rangitaiki River Cultural Baseline Report, 2002 - Whakatane/Te Teko/Thornton
- Te Whanau a Te Ehutu Iwi Management Plan (Draft), 2005 - Te Kaha
- Ngati Umutahi Whenua Resource Management Plan, 2004 - Matata
- Ngati Manawa Iwi Management Plan 2007 (lodged 2009) - Murupara
- Ngati Whare Iwi Resource Management Plan 2011 - Te Whaiti and Minginui (1.1MB, PDF).
Other Hapu/Iwi Documents:
- Upokorehe Hapū - Te Ipu o Te Mauri Strategic Plan, 2003 - Opape/Ohiwa
- Te Nuka Kokiri o Ngai Tamahaua - Strategic Plan, 2002 - Opape
- Tuwharetoa ki Kawerau Strategic Plan, 1991 - Kawerau
- Nga Tikanga Tiaki i te Taiao. Maori Environmental Management in the Bay of Plenty
- Regional Policy Statement, Generic plan for the Bay of Plenty 1993
If you have any queries about the hapu and iwi management plans listed, please contact our Maori Policy section.